Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch> on 2000/10/13 07:00:01 UTC

Move to Xalan2J

In the last couple of days many patches have been made and send to me which I've
finally integrated and commited.

Now we have moved Cocoon 2 to Xalan2J which has been made available with great
effort by Davanum Srinivas, Sebastien Sahuc, Sean Timm and Scott Boag and
probabbly others I've not realized. This includes the changes to the XSP engine
which now generates code using SAX events instead of DOM trees. The performance
gain is respectable and Xalan2J still has a great potential to be further
optimized (Scott told me it is not optimized at all :)

Paul Russell (sorry, I've misspelled your name in the cvs commits) has
implemented a component manager for the general components (not sitemap
components) which respects the new interfaces from the new avalon release. These
interfaces are used to mark classes as ThreadSafe, SingleThreaded, Poolable or
Recyclable. With this base implementation we are able to (finally) use the Store
to save objects for multiple uses (i.e pregenerated or compiled stylesheets).

Further, the component defined in a sitemap are now available to sub sitemaps
(sitemap component inheritance). This means that you can use sitemap components
defined in the parent sitemap without the need to redeclare them.

I'm sure there are still bugs in all the new code. And because of this I will
take a break with my family for a few days to let you find all of them and send
patches and commit them :)

A few people have asked to update the TODO list which I haven't been able to do
for now. But here is a short list with task of thing to do next:

- Fully integration of the new avalon release.
- Specifying and implemeting the "Content Aggregation" from the RT series
- Going deeper into the "Status and profiling" RT from Paul Russell

Any volunter to do that are welcome. And then we should stabilize the system by
bug hunting and testing.

I need a break for a few days now and I'll be back next Friday and hope to see
some of you at the ApacheCon afterwards.

Hang loose :)

Giacomo

                                          Web:   http://www.pwr.ch

Re: Move to Xalan2J

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 07:00:01AM +0200, Giacomo Pati wrote:
> Paul Russell (sorry, I've misspelled your name in the cvs
> commits) has implemented a component manager for the general
> components (not sitemap components) which respects the new
> interfaces from the new avalon release. These interfaces are
> used to mark classes as ThreadSafe, SingleThreaded, Poolable
> or Recyclable. With this base implementation we are able to
> (finally) use the Store to save objects for multiple uses (i.e
> pregenerated or compiled stylesheets).

Heh. That's okay, I'm used to it. There's also another slight
issue. The code I sent you deals with handing out components
from pools etc etc, however it doesn't deal with getting them
back into the pools afterwards. I'm not entirely sure how to
deal with this - I still feel it needs a subinterface to
ComponentManager that lets it accept components which people
have finished with. I've mentioned this to the Avalon peeps
before I think, and not had any joy. Any thoughts?

> Further, the component defined in a sitemap are now available
> to sub sitemaps (sitemap component inheritance). This means
> that you can use sitemap components defined in the parent
> sitemap without the need to redeclare them.

Funky :)

> - Fully integration of the new avalon release.
> - Specifying and implemeting the "Content Aggregation" from the RT series
> - Going deeper into the "Status and profiling" RT from Paul Russell

Happy to contribute on the status and profiling side, obviously.
I'll try and look over the new sitemap.xsl asap and post a slightly
more involved (and better written ;) e-mail about it...

What's left to do on the avalon integration?

Paul
--
Paul Russell                               <pa...@luminas.co.uk>
Luminas Ltd.

Re: Move to Xalan2J

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> In the last couple of days many patches have been made and send to me which I've
> finally integrated and commited.

What a great job you all :)

> Now we have moved Cocoon 2 to Xalan2J which has been made available with great
> effort by Davanum Srinivas, Sebastien Sahuc, Sean Timm and Scott Boag and
> probabbly others I've not realized. This includes the changes to the XSP engine
> which now generates code using SAX events instead of DOM trees. The performance
> gain is respectable and Xalan2J still has a great potential to be further
> optimized (Scott told me it is not optimized at all :)

The part I like the most about this effort (which is the reason why I
wanted to integrate Xalan2 instead of using, say, Saxon or XT) is the
team work we have done with the Xalan project: it was a real pleasure
for me to see so many great people involved in the fixing of all the
little details that make things work smoothly.

In fact, C2 is now forcing everybody to match quickly, it's an
incredible driving force: C2, Avalon, Catalina, Xalan2, Fop are all
working together... it's a great community, it's a great project to be
in and I'm proud of being part of this.

You all should be as well.

And I'm positive Xerces2 will follow us soon and join us in this big
family.

> Paul Russell (sorry, I've misspelled your name in the cvs commits) has
> implemented a component manager for the general components (not sitemap
> components) which respects the new interfaces from the new avalon release. These
> interfaces are used to mark classes as ThreadSafe, SingleThreaded, Poolable or
> Recyclable. With this base implementation we are able to (finally) use the Store
> to save objects for multiple uses (i.e pregenerated or compiled stylesheets).
>
> Further, the component defined in a sitemap are now available to sub sitemaps
> (sitemap component inheritance). This means that you can use sitemap components
> defined in the parent sitemap without the need to redeclare them.

Awesome!

> I'm sure there are still bugs in all the new code. And because of this I will
> take a break with my family for a few days to let you find all of them and send
> patches and commit them :)

You fully deserve that :)

> A few people have asked to update the TODO list which I haven't been able to do
> for now. But here is a short list with task of thing to do next:
>
> - Fully integration of the new avalon release.

can you list the details for this?

> - Specifying and implemeting the "Content Aggregation" from the RT series

I'll continue the discussion on this.

> - Going deeper into the "Status and profiling" RT from Paul Russell

I'll let Paul move this forward.

> Any volunter to do that are welcome. And then we should stabilize the system by
> bug hunting and testing.

I'm sure many people are already doing that right now :)

> I need a break for a few days now and I'll be back next Friday and hope to see
> some of you at the ApacheCon afterwards.

The original schedule had a beta release for ApacheCON, but I don't
think we are there yet, so forget about a beta release for the
conference.

We might do an alpha release just to make people aware, but without
content aggregation in place, we are not able to clone stylebook and I
don't want to do not a single release with stylebook inside C2.

But I'm open to suggestions.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.