Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Madhav Sharan <ms...@usc.edu> on 2016/08/08 23:19:33 UTC

All nodes are not used

Hi Hadoop users,

I am running a m/r job with an input file of 23 million records. I can see
all our files are not getting used.

What can I change to utilize all nodes?

Containers Mem Used Mem Avail Vcores used Vcores avail
8 11.25 GB 0 B 8 0
0 0 B 11.25 GB 0 8
0 0 B 11.25 GB 0 8
8 11.25 GB 0 B 8 0
8 11.25 GB 0 B 8 0
7 11.25 GB 0 B 7 1
5 7.03 GB 4.22 GB 5 3
0 0 B 11.25 GB 0 8
0 0 B 11.25 GB 0 8

My command looks like -

hadoop jar target/pooled-time-series-1.0-SNAPSHOT-jar-with-dependencies.jar
gov.nasa.jpl.memex.pooledtimeseries.MeanChiSquareDistanceCalculation
/user/pts/output/MeanChiSquareAndSimilarityInput
/user/pts/output/MeanChiSquaredCalcOutput

Directory - */user/pts/output/MeanChiSquareAndSimilarityInput* have a input
file of 23 m records. File size is ~3 GB

Code -
https://github.com/smadha/pooled_time_series/blob/master/src/main/java/gov/nasa/jpl/memex/pooledtimeseries/MeanChiSquareDistanceCalculation.java#L135

--
Madhav Sharan

Re: All nodes are not used

Posted by Madhav Sharan <ms...@usc.edu>.
Thanks Mahesh

Till now I am not able to run the whole job in a limited time period. So I
am looking for optimizations and resource utilization. May be I can try
tweaking input split size if it helps.

Thanks for your help, It explains the behaviour

--
Madhav Sharan

Re: All nodes are not used

Posted by Mahesh Balija <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Madhav,

Re: All nodes are not used

Posted by Madhav Sharan <ms...@usc.edu>.
Hi Sunil - Thanks a lot for replying

For one job run yes some nodes don't take load at all. But if I rerun no
these are not same nodes always.

One map job takes ~3 seconds to run and till now I am not able to run my
whole job on a bigger data set so I can't say that container are short
lived.

I was doing experiments and if I split input file into N files where N =
number of cores then my job starts running on all cores. So may be I need
to look at split size. Any trick to set split size = number of cores?

I can try adjusting mapred.min.split.size manually otherwise.

--
Madhav Sharan

Re: All nodes are not used

Posted by Sunil Govind <su...@gmail.com>.