Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/02 18:15:14 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Change the default jre.properties

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 05:06, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:22:48 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>> Just a question, as you know CXF better than I:
>>
>> - why CXF can't use the packages provided by the JRE (assuming we use
>> JRE 1.6) ?
>
> Well, you did mention the JRE 1.6 thing...  that is the first issue.  CXF
> still supports Java5 (as does Karaf 2.2.x) and thus needs to provide a useful
> features.xml for Java5 folks.   But that's a separate issue.....   However,
> that IS the reason for having geronimo-annotation and geronimo-ws-metadata
> bundles.   We could easily use the in JDK versions of these as they don't
> involve factories or implementations or anything like that.

We decided to drop JDK 5 in Karaf.

> [...]
> activator thing gnodet is working on can allow use of the system provided
> "API" packages (javax.xml.ws stuff) but have it find and load the CXF
> implementation, than I'm OK with that.   That CAN be 2.1 on Java6 and 2.2 on
> Java5/7.   However, there also would need to be a way on Java6 to have it
> update to 2.2 if really needed.
>
> Finally, that leaves JAXB.   For 95% of the use cases, we can use the in-jdk
> version EXCEPT for the 2.1 vs 2.2 issue in the generated code.   Again, we use
> the 2.2 xjc to generate code and thus it CAN generate code that will result in
> illegal annotation exceptions when run on 2.1.   Again, the -fe jaxws21 flag
> works around that and the maven java6/7 things mentioned above come into play.
> The DynamicClient, however, requires the non-inJDK version as we have to call
> off to com.sun.xml.bind classes and such directly which have different
> packages in the JDK (.internal added) and it was way too much reflection
> needed to do it reflectively.   CXF does have a few pathways where we try the
> ".internal" package names if the non-.internal versions aren't found
> specifically so it can work with the in-jdk version.   It was just way too
> much to do for the DynamicClient however.  (and the command line tools, but I
> assume we're not talking about running them in OSGi right now)
>
> However, the major issue I have with JAXB is the sheer number of bugs we run
> into with it.   CXF users are constantly reporting bugs to us that, when
> debugged, turn out to be issues in JAXB.   This last year has actually been
> good in that Oracle has actually fixed many of the bugs we reported, but ONLY
> in the 2.2 branch.  Thus, to get the stable version with the bugs fixed, we
> need the 2.2. implementation.   Unfortunately,  you CANNOT use the 2.2
> implementation with the 2.1 API jar.   The 2.2 implementation always looks for
> specific attributes on a couple annotations that only exist in 2.2 and will
> throw exceptions if the annotation is from 2.1 and doesn't contain them.
> However, I believe you can use a 2.2 API with the in -jdk 2.1 impl.  Not 100%
> sure though.
>
> The other issue with JAXB related to the bugs is it's HARD to figure out what
> bugs you may encounter when using the in JDK version.   They periodically
> update the in-jdk version with the JDK updates and various versions provide
> fixes, but also introduce new issues.   I think JDK update 18 broke a few of
> CXF unit tests when using the in-JDK version.   Update 23 fixed that.  Update
> 27 introduced a never cleared thread local that causes jar locking (and thus
> memory leaks).  I don't believe that has been fixed yet in any JDK other than
> the latest Java 7 (again, fixes go to 2.2 branch, rarely to 2.1).  Also,
> flipping between the Sun/Oracle JDK (example, developer boxes) to IBM JDK's
> (example: deploy on AIX) can really cause differences in behavior.

Thx for those detailed explanations ...  That really helps
understanding the problem.

> Unlike Guillaume, I've NEVER had an enterprise customer ask to use the in JDK
> versions.   I've never seen anyone really request it, even on the lists here.
> In every case, they've valued performance and stability over the use of the
> in-JDK versions.    By making CXF really prefer the "stable" versions, it not
> only provides a better experience for CXF users, but also reduces the support
> burden on the CXF lists as people are less likely to hit issues.   That's
> important to me.    If the Activator based stuff that Guillaume is working on
> can allow us to use the in-JDK "API" packages, but have them properly load
> OSGi based implementations, then that's a great start.   If we can also
> provide the latest versions of those API's (so we can use the latest versions
> of those impls), I'd be happy.

I don't recall having that such a thing.  Or that's not really what I
meant, so let me rephrase once again.

Imho Karaf is not a container dedicated to deploying Camel or CXF,
it's a general purpose OSGi container. So there are users that do use
Karaf and that don't care about CXF nor Camel.  They may be very happy
with the JAXB version provided by the JRE and don't use Stax.   I
don't really see why Karaf would have to provide its own Stax, JAXB,
SAAJ or JAXWS version for those users.  Of course, they could still
use a container which would provide alternative implementations, but
it's all about being lightweight.  I recall you once considered
ServiceMix being heavyweight, though the minimal distribution is now
only 10 Mb, where everything (cxf, camel, activemq, jbi) is ready to
be installed.  It's the same idea as TSF iirc.

I hope in the future, other Apache projects may use Karaf as their
runtime. DIrectory is an example and afaik they don't really care
about the speed of the JRE provided Stax implementation.  There's imho
no need to include stuff in Karaf that isnt used by Karaf and may not
be used by users either.  That sounds like a custom distribution to
me.

> Anyway, I'm technically on vacation.   My wife is giving me dirty looks for
> spending an hour doing work.  I hope this helps explain things a bit.   :-)

It does.

At the end I think we should provide a custom distribution (I still
think ServiceMix minimal could be a good candidate, but even it could
be yet another distribution in Karaf too, or even in CXF) that would
provide a clean and configured environment for CXF, with the needed
specs and implementations.

I'll try to create a karaf branch at github to experiment with the new
specs behavior, but what I had a few weeks ago was promising.  But I'd
like that to work well with OBR too.

> Dan
>

>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 12/27/2011 03:18 PM, Christian Schneider wrote:
>> > Hi JB,
>> >
>> > I think that should not be a big problem.
>> >
>> > We currently only support three different runtimes 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7. So
>> > it should not be a lot of work to provide features for them.
>> > We could also support the jre version as a kind of switch for feature
>> > files. So you can define bundles that will only be installed for certain
>> > jre versions.
>> > A bit like in maven. So then one feature would be fine for all 3
>> > versions.
>> >
>> > Christian

> --
> Daniel Kulp

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Change the default jre.properties

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Guillaume,

thanks a bunch, it looks great.

I will make a try later today.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Change the default jre.properties

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Sounds great. To what specs is that applicable? Can we solve all the
changes necessary for cxf with a solution like that?

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [PROPOSAL] Change the default jre.properties

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Guillaume Nodet