Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Ronny T. Lampert" <te...@uni.de> on 2005/03/15 14:18:30 UTC

Display log from a tag -> head

Hi,

consider I made a tag of a version into /tags/project-drop3.
Then I keep on developing and commiting.
Now I want to see all changes since THAT tag like

#> svn log --from /tags/project-drop3:HEAD or
#> svn log --base /tags/project-drop3 .

How would I do that now, in a simple way?

Thanks,
Ronny

Re: Display log from a tag -> head

Posted by Dirk Schenkewitz <sc...@docomolab-euro.com>.
Daniel Patterson wrote:
> Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>  >Ronny T. Lampert wrote:
>
>>> It would retrieve the last revision from the tag/branch/... and then
>>> do a log -r <last_from_branch>:HEAD.
>>>
>>> Maybe for 1.2 ? I'd fill in the feature-request if it is reasonable
>>> to  you.

That's what I think of all the time, I just din't dare to ask for it :-)
(Because I thought it had been discussed over and over, a long time age,
because it appears rather obvious, at least to me...)

>> It's really hard to define such a feature... how would you define the
>> UI?
>
>   Perhaps the ability to give arbitary symbolic names to particular
>   revisions (with HEAD, etc being reserved).
>
>   Of course, with mixed-revision tags, that idea doesn't work either.

I was not aware that it's even possible to have mixed-revision tags =8-O

> daniel

Dirk

Re: Display log from a tag -> head

Posted by Daniel Patterson <da...@danpat.net>.

Posted by "Ronny T. Lampert" <te...@uni.de>.
>> So how about introducing a short-cut-command?
> It's really hard to define such a feature... how would you define the  UI?
I was thinking a day about it and came to the conclusion, that it doesn't
make any sense to allow this for cross-repository URLs or to be TOO generic
about the PATHs.
Withing one repos, it should be relatively straight forward.

I would like to specify something like

--base /tags/project-drop3 --target /tags/project-drop4/HEAD/<revision>

which would be the best mnemonic style, I think, and the paths stay withing
the base-repos the WC is checked out from.

Take THIS as base to compare against, and check everything until THAT.
Should be available for at least svn diff and svn log, I think.

(As I said, within one tree should be rather easy - get last revision from
--base and compare against last revision from --target; you are only
specifying -rSTART:END ranges in another way)

> The problem is that you're making a whole lot of assumptions here about
> the relationship between two URLs -- that they share history in a
> really specific way.
Yep, I was only thinking about a command working within ONE repository,
because 2 arbitrary URLs would be rather complex to do.

I am guilty that I am somewhat inspired by how BitKeeper's revtool works.

> Honestly, what I'd really like to see is a new feature like
>
>       svn diff URL1 URL2 --short
>
> Where --short (--quiet? whatever it's called) causes the diff command
> to print nothing but the single-letter status codes that one normally
> sees from 'update' or 'merge'.  Then at least you'd be able to see the
> list of files that changed between two branches.  Not quite the same
> thing as seeing the logs, but a lot of people have asked for this.

Could we somehow "marry" the two features, to have --short for the
above-mentioned?

Cheers,

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by "Ronny T. Lampert" <te...@uni.de>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mar 15, 2005, at 8:18 AM, Ronny T. Lampert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> consider I made a tag of a version into /tags/project-drop3.
> Then I keep on developing and commiting.
> Now I want to see all changes since THAT tag like
>
> #> svn log --from /tags/project-drop3:HEAD or
> #> svn log --base /tags/project-drop3 .
>
> How would I do that now, in a simple way?

Look at the bottom of this document, at the section called "Seeing the