Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/04 15:30:38 UTC

Draft version of Light weight TapestryTools GSoC 2012 project prposal

Hi All,

After series of survey and experiment job, now i make clear of Eclipse
based light weight TapestryTools implement solution. Now i have
finished the draft version of project proposal, you guys can find it
here [1].

In order to explain the whole things more clear, i added some pictures
in the proposal, so it is not so convenient to post the whole proposal
in mail list here. But here is the best place to read feedback and
discuss :-)

Igor and I really want to build a really popular Tapestry 5 visual
editor this year, we hope that all the Tapestry developers will use it
and like it in the future. At the beginning, we will not supply much
dazzling features, but we will focus on basic and pivotal key
features, build a simple but practical tool which will really reduce
Tapestry's development workload.

One more time, feedback is welcome, both here or left comments in the
proposal URL. You guys can improve it with me together, thank you :-)

[1] http://code.google.com/p/tapestrytools/wiki/Light_weight_TapestryTools

Re: Draft version of Light weight TapestryTools GSoC 2012 project prposal

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Uli,

Thank you for your answer.

Yeah, i discussed my idea here before, and Igor Drobiazko will be my
GSoC mentor. I just to confirm that it is not necessary for me to post
my idea in that list, now i get the answer :-) Thank you.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Giulio,

Thank you for your straightforward complaint, not sound good, but it
is true. That is due to our *HEAVY* solution last year, you said the
CTRL + R switch does not work, i do not know how it happened. For most
users, if installed this tool correctly, it will work.

If it did not work, the reason may be failure in install process, as
it required WTP, the install process is not easy. Mismatch version of
WTP may result failure. And some users want to improve TapestryTools
together with me, but retreat when they found have to read WTP source
code first. I personally want to  mark  all the issue closed, make new
builds, but it is really not easy for a single student.

This is why we want to rebuild a lightweight TapestryTools this year,
make it easy to install, easy to improve. Most important, reduce
improvement threshold, attract more guys to improve it together with
me in the future.

About the issues, i have tried to solve most issues[1] which can be
reproduced in my computer, not "even don't answer to issues". Sorry
for the left 4 open issues, some of them can not reproduce in my
computer, and some of them are considered in the new lightweight
solution.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/tapestrytools/issues/list?can=1&q=&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Priority+Milestone+Owner+Summary&cells=tiles

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Hi Giulio,

sounds like a cool feature but I would consider it as optional. Don't
forget that GSoC has a limited time frame. We agreed with Gavin to build a
great tool with a minimal feature set that just works. We defined some
features that are realistic to implement during GSoC. Adding more features
doesn't make sense right now. Gavin can implement this feature if he has
some time left. Alternatively this feature can be implemented after GSoC
because the project is Open Source. Anyone is invited to contribute
patches, suggestions, etc.

Maybe you just fill an issue in the tracker.

Regards

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de
http://twitter.com/drobiazko

Re: Draft version of Light weight TapestryTools GSoC 2012 project prposal

Posted by Giulio Micali <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gavin,

So just a "return" or loop break simple statement can fix this
> problem, right?

Yes, it's a common thing I've noticed in many projects.
the "unclean part" of the patch is how you compute the sources directory,
but I don't know the eclipse framework and i cannot help in that.

> Thank you for your advise. If you use TapestryTools' page/component
> creation wizard, it will always create class file and tml file
> together with you. So template not found is not a usual situation, but
> we can consider it as a option feature. In some special situation such
> as user delete single tml file careless, this feature will be
> necessary.
>
> Funny to say, I have troubles on using the component wizards, or to give
the project the "tapestry nature".
Maybe because the WTP installation troubles(that i have), or because I
don't create the projects in eclipse but i import them with maven, so I
don't use it but it's not an important to me.

Cheers,
Giulio

Re: Draft version of Light weight TapestryTools GSoC 2012 project prposal

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
在 2012年3月21日 下午5:08,Giulio Micali <gi...@gmail.com> 写道:
> OW.
> I had suspects on that notifications ! :D
>
> However, the problem is explained in the issue: it does not depend on
> eclipse wtp code or installation, it depends by the order of resources.
> you have 2 .tml when using maven: the first found is always in the /src
> directory, the second is in the /target.
> My patch stops the FOR cycle after the first found in /src. I use it since
> the day i've posted in the issue, and I can tell you that it works.

So just a "return" or loop break simple statement can fix this
problem, right?  If i got your issue patch notification, there isn't
any reason for me to ignore it at all. I am not a developer who "even
don't answer to issues", if i got notifications or mail etc from you,
i will always try to response to you.

Posted by Giulio Micali <gi...@gmail.com>.
OW.

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Giulio,

May be my words confused you, when i said "but it has not many users
at last. I am some kind of disappoint.", i mean i hoped users like
TapestryTools and there will be more and more use it in the future.
But it did not come true, i am some kind of disappoint.

Not mean i feel sad as i get few feedback from users. Once Igor
discussed with me about the new solution, i posted it here to collect
feedback from you guys, and got many good advises. So i am happy to
get so much good feedback from users :-)

在 2012年3月21日 下午5:39,Giulio Micali <gi...@gmail.com> 写道:

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
HAHA Chris, thank you for your sticking up :D

在 2012年3月21日 下午5:47,Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org> 写道:

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>.

Posted by Giulio Micali <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Cris,

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>.

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Giulio,

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Agree with your point :-)

Last year, i built an Eclipse WTP based TapestryTools, i think i have
finished much features, it may be powerful and welcome, but it has not
many users at last. I am some kind of disappoint.

After discuss with Igor, we thought we should change the way, give up
much *heavy* optional features but focus on practical key features,
and keep this tool simple.

So we would like to work this way:
Concentrate on simple stuff first then do optional, prefer to have a
minimal feature set that works perfect
than having a lot of features that work not to 100%.

In fact, i thought about this feature, when i considered into details,
i found it is not easy to make it perfect. So i will add this into my
proposal as first optional feature. After i finished necessary
features, i will try to add another Java Class tab in the TML editor.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Uli,

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.