Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2006/08/06 04:29:18 UTC

documentation for OS specific tasks

Gav... wrote:
> <quote who="David Crossley">

> >> Did
> >> http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt
> >> http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn?

> >> Ah, there it is, is this documented elsewhere other than the Jira?
> >
> > Do you mean apart from the documentation that Thorsten
> > provided above? i.e. the last paragraph of
> > http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn
>
> Yes, the Jira issue mentions where to look or where to add it for Windows,
> the last paragraph of that page does not mention this.
>
> There is lots that is different for windows than for *nix - and I suspect
> for you MAC users too, these diferernces should be doc'ed somewhere
> prefereably either a windows only page or as windows alternatate configs
> in infoboxes beneath any *nix specific configs. I guess a job for me as
> and when I come across them.

I disagree with that approach. Documentation becomes extremely
cumbersome when we try to explain to people how to use their
own Operating System. We should simply say see the "SVN Book"
and let them figure it out.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.html#svn.advanced.confarea

-David