Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Niranjan Rao <nh...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/05 08:01:23 UTC

Using maven in eclipse

I see lot of discussion using maven eclipse plugin to import the project
in eclipse. I am wondering why we need to do this as m2eclipse seems to
be working perfectly fine and works directly with pom file.

So far, m2eclipse has worked flawlessly for me. Is there a preferred
plugin to use because of drawbacks/issues in other?

Thanks,

Niranjan

Re: Using maven in eclipse

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Niranjan Rao <nh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see lot of discussion using maven eclipse plugin to import the project
> in eclipse. I am wondering why we need to do this as m2eclipse seems to
> be working perfectly fine and works directly with pom file.
>
> So far, m2eclipse has worked flawlessly for me. Is there a preferred
> plugin to use because of drawbacks/issues in other?

maven eclipse plugin (m-e-p) predates m2e.

For a lot of people it works well enough and there is little benefit
it reconfiguring their tooling to take advantage of m2e.
For others some of the more complicated builds don't work as expected
in m2e but work fine in m-e-p.

YMMV.

If you are happy with m2e, I wouldn't worry about m-e-p except to
remember its in your tool box if you happen to need it.