Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ashic Mahtab <as...@live.com> on 2015/02/18 01:29:23 UTC

Accessing Cassandra Data from Excel / Tableau / R

What's a good way to load some cassandra data (perhaps result of a cql query) into Excel / Tableau? I see DSE has support, but that's not always an option. Simba do an odbc connectory that currently doesn't support UDTs + collections properly (and it's expensive). Is there a way to use Spark to provide a gateway to Cassandra data to the traditional BI tools? Perhaps with the ThriftServer? RCassandra also seems stuck in the distant pass...is there any new news on that front?
The reason I ask is some non-programmers simply want to look at some data by themselves, with some cql. I'd like to be able to give them that without data exports.
Thanks,Ashic.

RE: Accessing Cassandra Data from Excel / Tableau / R

Posted by Ashic Mahtab <as...@live.com>.
Thanks, Peter.
Any pointers on getting that working? Also, don't think Tableau supports JDBC (it does support ODBC). I've been able to start beeline (i.e. thriftserver) and connect Tableau to it via the Simba ODBC connector for Spark. But no idea how to let "it" (hive or spark) know where Cassandra is and how to access it.
Any help is appreciated.
-Ashic.

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 19:49:42 -0500
Subject: Re: Accessing Cassandra Data from Excel / Tableau / R
From: woolfel@gmail.com
To: user@cassandra.apache.org

Hive can connect to Cassandra, so that means you can point Tableau to hive using JDBC.

As long as you map Hive to cassandra, you should be able to query data just like regular hive

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.