Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Koga Youichirou <y-...@apache.or.jp> on 2002/06/19 04:53:06 UTC

is 1.3.26 the best version?

I think the Apache HTTP Server Project considers that 2.0.x is better
than 1.3.x, but Announcement file in 1.3.26 says:

   We consider Apache 1.3.26 to be the best version of Apache available
   and we strongly recommend that users of older versions, especially of
   the 1.1.x and 1.2.x family, upgrade as soon as possible.  No further
   releases will be made in the 1.2.x family.

This should be modified as s/the best version of Apache/&-1.3/.

-- Koga, Youichirou

Re: is 1.3.26 the best version?

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 11:53:06AM +0900, Koga Youichirou wrote:
> I think the Apache HTTP Server Project considers that 2.0.x is better
> than 1.3.x, but Announcement file in 1.3.26 says:
>
>    We consider Apache 1.3.26 to be the best version of Apache available
>    and we strongly recommend that users of older versions, especially of
>    the 1.1.x and 1.2.x family, upgrade as soon as possible.  No further
>    releases will be made in the 1.2.x family.
>

> This should be modified as s/the best version of Apache/&-1.3/.

Might I suggest that we remove this from our website and future
announcements entirely? I don't see why we have it, and I think it
just confuses people. The reputation of the version numbers can speak
for themselves.

-aaron

Re: is 1.3.26 the best version?

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Koga Youichirou wrote:

> I think the Apache HTTP Server Project considers that 2.0.x is better
> than 1.3.x, but Announcement file in 1.3.26 says:
>    We consider Apache 1.3.26 to be the best version of Apache available
>    and we strongly recommend that users of older versions, especially of
>    the 1.1.x and 1.2.x family, upgrade as soon as possible.  No further
>    releases will be made in the 1.2.x family.
> This should be modified as s/the best version of Apache/&-1.3/.

We fixed that in the Announcement file we mailed out and the one we posted
on the website, but 1.3.26 was already rolled by then with the old
Announcement in it.

Thanks though!

--Cliff