Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Chris Newland <ch...@emorphia.com> on 2001/08/14 11:16:14 UTC

OT: ESQL, MySQL, and the GPL

Hi All,

A quick question about licensing.

If I use the ESQL logicsheet (Apache license?) with the MM JDBC driver
(LGPL) to connect to a MySQL DB server (GPL), is my XSP code protected from
the GPL ?

Thanks, and sorry for the off-topic post.

-Chris

PS. If you don't already have this configuration listed:

Cocoon2b2 (distribution) working on Tomcat 4.0-b6 (distribution) on SuSE 7.2
with Sun JDK 1.3.1-b24 (using -classic workaround for the VM seg fault bug)

--
Chris Newland
Software Research Engineer

Emorphia Ltd
Registered in England.  4133002
Mill House, Station Approach, Harlow Mill, Harlow, Essex, CM20 2EL, UK

Email: chris.newland@emorphia.com
Tel: +44 (0)1279 450100
Fax: +44 (0)1279 450102

Check out FIPA-OS at http://fipa-os.sourceforge.net/

This message may contain information proprietary to Emorphia so any
unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution of its contents is strictly
prohibited.

Re: OT: ESQL, MySQL, and the GPL

Posted by Sergio Carvalho <se...@acm.org>.
My first advise is: Contact a lawyer. You are not bound to find lawyers
in this forum, and all you'll get are random opinions about GPL licensing.

Now, for my random opinion - I am not a lawyer, so take it with a ton of
salt:
   (MySQL DB) I'm fairly sure you are not affected by a server's
license.  For the server license to affect your work, your program would
have to be considered derivative work, which is hardly the case for a
standard SQL client. You can use MySQL, but with little or no
modification, you can use any other RDBMS.
   (MM JDBC) Quoting from the LGPL preamble:
-- Start Quotation --
Most GNU software, including some libraries, is covered by the ordinary
GNU General Public License. This license, the GNU Lesser General Public
License, applies to certain designated libraries, and is quite different
from the ordinary General Public License. We use this license for
certain libraries in order to permit linking those libraries into
non-free programs.

When a program is linked with a library, whether statically or using a
shared library, the combination of the two is legally speaking a
combined work, a derivative of the original library. The ordinary
General Public License therefore permits such linking only if the entire
combination fits its criteria of freedom. The Lesser General Public
License permits more lax criteria for linking other code with the library.
-- End Quotation --

Don't know about the Apache license, though.

RE: ESQL, MySQL, and the GPL

Posted by Luca Morandini <l....@tin.it>.
Chris,

	I think so. Since you didn't modify the source code of the tools you
mentioned (Apache, Cocoon, ESQL, ...) you are not breaking GPL.

	On the ohter hand, if you, say, modified the ESQL logicsheet, you would
have been forced to shar the modified source code with the community.

	The GPL idea is not to destroy added value, just to make possible the
sharing of collaborative software development.

Best regards,

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
            lmorandini@ieee.org