Posted to user@struts.apache.org by John Menke <jo...@eagleinfosystems.com> on 2002/09/18 19:09:42 UTC

Integrating Struts with JSF

Are there any examples or instructions on how to do this?  I have been going
over the JSF tutorial and the web.xml (see below) looks like it's configured
to forward all requests through the Faces Servlet.  How can I get the Struts
ActionServelet to interoperate with this model?

Is it just that .jsp pages get forwarded to the Faces Servlet and .do
requests get forwarded to the ActionServlet?

-john

web-app>
  <listener>
    <listener-class>
      cardemo.CarDemoServletContextListener
    </listener-class>
  </listener>
  <!-- Faces Servlet -->
  <servlet>
    <servlet-class>
      javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet
    </servlet-class>
    <load-on-startup> 1 </load-on-startup>
  </servlet>
  <!-- Faces Servlet Mapping -->
  <servlet-mapping>
    <url-pattern>/faces/*</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

Re: Integrating Struts with JSF

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Eddie Bush wrote:

> Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:51:37 -0500
> From: Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>
> Subject: Re: Integrating Struts with JSF
>
> I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think (so far as the controller
> servlet goes) it would be an "either/or" type thing.  Seems to me it
> will be difficult to integrate Struts/JSF until one or the other of them
> moves to using a Filter instead of a servlet.  Hopefully Craig will
> chip-in on this.  I think he's probably the only one of us uniquely
> positioned to answer this 100% accurately.

See my longer reply in the [Forward Looking] email.  But, basically, the
integration will essentially have two controllers:

  /faces/*               Maps to the Faces controller for handling
                         low level request events etc.  Think of this
                         as the logic that would happen inside the
                         client on a "rich client" implementation (such
                         as expanding a node in a tree control) that
                         the application logic doesn't need to care
                         about.

  *.do (or whatever)     Maps to the Struts controller and handles
                         form submits in the usual way.

Once the integration library is available, you'll see how this is all fits
together pretty seamlessly.  In the mean time, it's not very convenient to
try to use JSF and Struts together.

Craig

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

--