Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net> on 2011/03/22 08:39:23 UTC

when to change rows param?

Hello list,

I've been using my own QueryComponent (that extends the search one) successfully to rewrite web-received parameters that are sent from the (ExtJS-based) javascript client.
This allows an amount of query-rewriting, that's good.
I tried to change the rows parameter there (which is "limit" in the query, as per the underpinnings of ExtJS) but it seems that this is not enough.

Which component should I subclass to change the rows parameter?

thanks in advance

paul

Re: when to change rows param?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I thought that injecting the rows param in the query-component would
: have been enough (from the "limits" param my client is giving). But it
: seems not to be the case.

As i tried to explain before: the details matter.  exactly where in the
code you tried to do this and how you went about it is important to
understanding why it might not have affected the results in the way you
expect.

SearchComponents are ordered, and multiple passes are made over each
component in order, and each component has the opportunity to access the
request params in a variety of ways, etc...

So w/o knowing exactly what you changed, we can't really speculate why
some other code isn't using the new value (particularly since i don't
think you ever actaully told use *which* other code isn't getting the new
value)

:
: paul
:
:
: Le 12 avr. 2011 à 02:07, Chris Hostetter a écrit :
:
: >
: > Paul: can you elaborate a little bit on what exactly your problem is?
: >
: > - what is the full component list you are using?
: > - how are you changing the param value (ie: what does the code look like)
: > - what isn't working the way you expect?
: >
: > : I've been using my own QueryComponent (that extends the search one)
: > : successfully to rewrite web-received parameters that are sent from the
: > : (ExtJS-based) javascript client. This allows an amount of
: > : query-rewriting, that's good. I tried to change the rows parameter there
: > : (which is "limit" in the query, as per the underpinnings of ExtJS) but
: > : it seems that this is not enough.
: > :
: > : Which component should I subclass to change the rows parameter?
: >
: > -Hoss
:
:

-Hoss

Re: when to change rows param?

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
Hoss,

as of now I managed to adjust this in the client code before it touches the server so it is not urgent at all anymore.

I wanted to avoid touching the client code (which is giving, oh great fun, MSIE concurrency miseries) hence I wanted a server-side rewrite of the maximum number of hits returned. Thus far my server customization, except a custom solrconfig and schema, are a query-component and response-handler.

Re: when to change rows param?