Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> on 2010/03/07 22:34:21 UTC

[Vysper] Merge new XML parser into trunk

Hi

The new, SAX based and more compliant (especially with regards to XML
Namespaces) XML parser is pretty much ready to be merged into trunk.
Anyone against me doing the merge?

/niklas

Re: [Vysper] Merge new XML parser into trunk

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1

trunk is all yours...

btw, any plans of performance benchmarking the implementation?

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Niklas Gustavsson
<ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Bernd Fondermann
> <be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Looks promising.
>
> But it turned out I had a bug in my benchmark. New numbers coming up
> later today.

As long as it works, its fine. We can refine it as we go.
Once we have user community around it, would get much more valuable
feedback from them :)

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> But it turned out I had a bug in my benchmark. New numbers coming up
> later today.

Bugs fixed, here's the new numbers:

Tests performed (10000 rounds):
Single level XML (<child att='foo' att2='bar' />)
Existing parser ~700ms
New parser ~800ms

About the same as before

Nested XML (<child att='foo' att2='bar'><child2><child3><child4
/></child3></child2></child>)
Existing parser ~1000ms
New parser ~850ms

As you see, more even than before, but I'm still comfortable with the results.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 23:04, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Yes, I benchmarked during the development, but only with the new
>>> parser (to verify that I did not worsen the performance). I will also
>>> do some comparisons against the old parser before merging.
>>
>> Cool :)
>> would be great if you can share with us :-)
>
> Sorry it took such time. I've now done some comparisons between the
> two parsers. Please note that these are microbenchmarks and as such
> might not tell us much about the overall performance of Vysper.
>
> Tests performed (10000 rounds):
> Single level XML (<child att='foo' att2='bar' />)
> Existing parser ~700ms
> New parser ~800ms
>
> Nested XML (<child att='foo' att2='bar'><child2><child3><child4
> /></child3></child2></child>)
> Existing parser ~3300ms
> New parser ~950ms
>
> So, at least we doesn't seem to get much worse, and potentially quite faster.

Looks promising. Want to merge into trunk use the new one?

One additional thing we need to be able to handle in the future is a
stand-alone </stream:stream>.

  Bernd

Re: [Vysper] Merge new XML parser into trunk

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 11:27 PM, Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
>> What trunk? Vyspers? MINAs?
>
> Vyspers (at this stage, in the future it might be worth having the
> parser separate from Vysper).

+1, there would be other consumers for this.

--
thanks
ashish

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog

Re: [Vysper] Merge new XML parser into trunk

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
What trunk? Vyspers? MINAs?

Did you do any performance measurements?

Anyway, +1!

  Bernd