Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org> on 2014/06/10 00:39:04 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Git workflow and contributions

All,

Following our earlier proposal for source code contributions using
GitHub, here is a revised position which reflects our mentor's advice.

TL;DR - it's similar to the last one, except that the normal working
mirror will be https://github.com/apache/incubator-brooklyn, and no
other GitHub organisations are involved.

The process for contributors is described here:
https://people.apache.org/~richard/community/how-to-contribute.html
[Note that this URL is temporary, until docs go live at our official web site]

In short, contributors submit PRs against
https://github.com/apache/incubator-brooklyn, the remainder of the
document describes some best practices and an explanation of the
review process as a contributor would see it.

The process for committers is described here:
https://people.apache.org/~richard/community/committers.html
[Note that this URL is temporary, until docs go live at our official web site]

This documents a workflow that involves setting up a local repository
that refers to both the canonical Apache repository
(https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-brooklyn.git) and
the GitHub mirror, and describes how to merge pull requests from
GitHub mirror and push them to the canonical repo.

Any comments / votes?

Thanks

Richard.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Git workflow and contributions

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
+1

Yeah, it looks OK to me, Richard. I think this fits with the Apache Way and
won't be too difficult to get up and running with.

Andrew.
--
-- andrew kennedy ? cloudsoft & software engineer : @grkvlt ;

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Looks good to me. A few things that should be fixed:

* it's against the Apache policies to provide download links for SNAPSHOT
builds - they are not endorsed by the IPMC

* previous release (outside of the incubator) should probably be marked as
such

-- Andrei Savu

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
Hi, all.

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
Thanks again for your comments Aled.

I neglected to mention in my original post that these pages were
significantly inspired by the equivalent page on the jclouds site.

On 10 June 2014 09:28, Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  * https://people.apache.org/~richard/community/how-to-contribute.html:
>      o "ready to be merged once it gets at lease one +1 from a reviewer"
>        This should be "from a committer" I presume?
>      o "It is also a good idea to squash all the commits into a single
>        one, since this will allow us to generate a clean patch and
>        merge it properly"
>        Wording feels too strong, I think. If it is a series of logical
>        steps (that don't justify separate PRs) then separate commits
>        are fine.
>        Could reword to "consider squashing all the commits into a
>        single one where appropriate, since..."
>        Also, committers won't be generating patches I presume - the
>        committer proposal is to do `git merge pull/github/1234; git
>        push apache master`.

Thanks Aled - I have reworded to:

"A pull request is considered ready to be merged once it gets at lease
one +1 from a committer. Once all the changes have been completed and
the pull request is accepted, you may be asked to rebase it against
the latest code. You may also wish to squash some commits together and
make other history revisions, to leave the commit history clean and
easily understood."

Posted by Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

But more important is what the mentors think!

Some minor comments:

  * https://people.apache.org/~richard/community/how-to-contribute.html:
      o "ready to be merged once it gets at lease one +1 from a reviewer"
        This should be "from a committer" I presume?
      o "It is also a good idea to squash all the commits into a single
        one, since this will allow us to generate a clean patch and
        merge it properly"
        Wording feels too strong, I think. If it is a series of logical
        steps (that don't justify separate PRs) then separate commits
        are fine.
        Could reword to "consider squashing all the commits into a
        single one where appropriate, since..."
        Also, committers won't be generating patches I presume - the
        committer proposal is to do `git merge pull/github/1234; git
        push apache master`.

Aled