Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2007/04/21 20:29:16 UTC

snapshooter on OS X

Has anyone run the distribution scripts successfully on OS X?  If so,
what did you have to change, if anything, to get them to work?

I'm getting a couple of issues in snapshooter:
1.  The line . ${solr_root}/bin/scripts-util fails saying command not
found.  This is presumably because solr_root is not being set

2. The cp command fails when trying to make the links b/c the -l
attributed does not seem to exist for the cp command on OS X

I am running bash 3.2.0 on 10.4.9

Thanks,
Grant

Re: snapshooter on OS X

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
That was it, now runs past that and hits the known issue of cp -l.  I
will file a bug for that issue.  If no one else gets to it first, I
will try to run all the scripts, etc. on OS X after ApacheCon to see
if there are any other issues.

Re: snapshooter on OS X

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 4/24/07, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> Scripts.conf is:
[...]

Re: snapshooter on OS X

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 4/24/07, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> ...++ . <my path>/apache-solr-1.1.0-incubating/example/solr/conf/
> scripts.conf
> +++ $'\r'
> : command not found <my-path>/apache-solr-1.1.0-incubating/example/...

Not sure what $'\r' means exactly, but it might indicate invalid
characters either in the snapshooter or scripts.conf files.

You can use for example "cat -v somefile" to see if there are any
unprintable characters in somefile, there should be none in the
scripts and configuration files.

If you're working with a distribution extracted from a zip file, there
might be DOS end-of-lines in some files (didn't check, just a wild
guess).

-Bertrand

Re: snapshooter on OS X

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Running in example/solr/bin from 1.1 distribution using bash -x ./
snapshooter -u myname -d data

++ . <my path>/apache-solr-1.1.0-incubating/example/solr/conf/
scripts.conf
+++ $'\r'
: command not found <my-path>/apache-solr-1.1.0-incubating/example/
solr/conf/scripts.conf: line 15:

And then later I get the cp -l error.

Scripts.conf is:

user=
solr_hostname=localhost
solr_port=8983
rsyncd_port=18983
data_dir=
webapp_name=solr
master_host=
master_data_dir=
master_status_dir=

but I didn't set it up at all.  Line 15 is the line before user=

On Apr 23, 2007, at 10:00 PM, Bill Au wrote:

> You can also run the script with the -V option.  It shows debugging
> info but not as much as "bash -x".
>
> I tried snapshooter on OS X 10.4.9.  I did get the "cp: illegal option
> -- l" error.
> But that's the only error I got.
>
> Bill
>
> On 4/23/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 4/23/07, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > ...The error says something about command not found line 15, but
>> all the
>> > files I looked at, line 15 was a comment...
>>
>> Running your script with
>>
>>   bash -x myscript
>>
>> should help, it will echo commands before executing them.
>>
>> -Bertrand

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
Center for Natural Language Processing
http://www.cnlp.org

LuceneFAQ

Re: snapshooter on OS X

Posted by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: snapshooter on OS X

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: snapshooter on OS X

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 4/22/07, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>  Should we have
> separate directories under bin for different platforms or should we
> try to have one script to rule them all?

I think we should try to keep the same scripts until it becomes too burdensome.

-Yonik

Re: snapshooter on OS X

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
I am using the solr home that comes with the example.  The curious
thing is I get the error in item 1 when running on linux, as well.
The error says something about command not found line 15, but all the
files I looked at, line 15 was a comment.   I _think_ it is referring
to an error in reading scripts.conf, but I am not sure.

I will put a bug in for the link issue for now and try to write up
some scripts that work on OS X after ApacheCon.  I will also _try_ to
investigate the other issue when time permits.  Should we have

Re: snapshooter on OS X

Posted by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com>.