Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Kevin Meurer <ke...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/07 15:05:51 UTC

[Log4j2] Supported Redis Appender

Hi all,

I wanted to float the idea of folding a Redis log4j2 appender into the
log4j2 repository or releasing a canonical version under the Apache license.

As you might be aware, one repository
<https://github.com/vy/log4j2-redis-appender> currently exists to meet this
need, but it is licensed under GPL and therefore not usable for a variety
of contexts. I think of a Redis appender as potentially analogous to the
existing Kafka Appender, as Redis is often used in a similar message broker
context.

Is this something I could potentially add support for in log4j2? If not, is
there interest in an effort to create a separate repository to meet this
need?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin Meurer (kmeurer <https://github.com/kmeurer>)

Re: [Log4j2] Supported Redis Appender

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
While I wouldn’t be opposed to a Redis Appender, I would find it a strange use of Redis. Normally, Redis is used as a distributed cache, not as a place to store log evens. Can you explain what the use case would be when using it?

Ralph