Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Angel Tsankov <fn...@fmi.uni-sofia.bg> on 2010/07/20 11:32:41 UTC

libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0: undefined symbol: GENERAL_NAME_free

When I run kdesvn I get a dialog showing the following message:

Could not find our part: Cannot load library
/usr/lib/kde4/kdesvnpart.so: (/usr/lib/libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0: undefined
symbol: GENERAL_NAME_free)

Files /usr/lib/kde4/kdesvnpart.so and /usr/lib/libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0
both exist. The former is part of kdesvn and the latter is part of
subversion.  In case this is relevant, I have installed the following
packages:

* openssl 0.9.8j (configured with --prefix=/usr --openssldir=/usr/share);
* neon 0.28.4 (configured with --prefix=/usr --with-ssl);
* subversion 1.6.12 (configured with --prefix=/usr).

Do I need to upgrade openssl or neon? Or is the problem elsewhere?

Re: libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0: undefined symbol: GENERAL_NAME_free

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Angel Tsankov <fn...@fmi.uni-sofia.bg> wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Angel Tsankov <fn...@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> When I run kdesvn I get a dialog showing the following message:
>>>
>>> Could not find our part: Cannot load library /usr/lib/kde4/kdesvnpart.so:
>>> (/usr/lib/libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0: undefined symbol: GENERAL_NAME_free)
>>>
>>> Files /usr/lib/kde4/kdesvnpart.so and /usr/lib/libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0 both
>>> exist. The former is part of kdesvn and the latter is part of subversion.
>>>  In case this is relevant, I have installed the following packages:
>>>
>>> * openssl 0.9.8j (configured with --prefix=/usr --openssldir=/usr/share);
>>> * neon 0.28.4 (configured with --prefix=/usr --with-ssl);
>>> * subversion 1.6.12 (configured with --prefix=/usr).
>>>
>>> Do I need to upgrade openssl or neon? Or is the problem elsewhere?
>>
>> Start from the beginning. Are you building all of these components
>> yourself,
>
> I build myself all of these packages from source and install them.

Oh, dear. You're begging to introduce surprises that didn't show up in
release testing, especially if you're staying on the leading edge.
Replacing OpenSSL manually, especially, is begging to break other
packages, such as httpd.

>> and then slapping kdesvn on top?
>
> I don't know what you mean by 'slapping kdesvn on top'.  I simply build
> (from source) and install kdesvn after installing all these packages the way
> I already explained.

So you compiled and installed each of them in the order you listed? Or
you compiled them all first, then installed them all.

This sort of thing is why I like building RHEL and CentOS packages
with "mock", which creates a chroot cage built from scratch with only
system default components in it and does the build there. Handy
software for preventing software skew from breaking other packages
unannounced, but I recognize that it may not be the standard approach
for your distribution.

Which distribution are you using?

Posted by Angel Tsankov <fn...@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Angel Tsankov <fn...@fmi.uni-sofia.bg> wrote:
> When I run kdesvn I get a dialog showing the following message:
>
> Could not find our part: Cannot load library /usr/lib/kde4/kdesvnpart.so:
> (/usr/lib/libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0: undefined symbol: GENERAL_NAME_free)
>
> Files /usr/lib/kde4/kdesvnpart.so and /usr/lib/libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0 both
> exist. The former is part of kdesvn and the latter is part of subversion.
>  In case this is relevant, I have installed the following packages:
>
> * openssl 0.9.8j (configured with --prefix=/usr --openssldir=/usr/share);
> * neon 0.28.4 (configured with --prefix=/usr --with-ssl);
> * subversion 1.6.12 (configured with --prefix=/usr).
>
> Do I need to upgrade openssl or neon? Or is the problem elsewhere?

Start from the beginning. Are you building all of these components
yourself, and then slapping kdesvn on top? Or are you installing
pre-built binaries from an upstream source? If you're installing from
upstream, I'd guess that you are getting the components from different
sources and need to recompile kdesvn. And this sort of conflict is why
building from scratch is a lot of extra work.

Re: libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0: undefined symbol: GENERAL_NAME_free

Posted by Angel Tsankov <fn...@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>.
Angel Tsankov wrote:
> Stefan Sperling wrote:

>>> Since the problem is with libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0 (which is part of
>>> Subversion), I think my question is appropriate for this mailing
>>> list, as well.
>>
>> The problem is most probably not with Subversion.
>> We get reports similar to yours quite a lot, and they usually are local
>> installation problems.
>>
>> You most likely have a local problem with your installation of Subversion
>> and related software. Quite possibly your kdesvn libraries were linked
>> against a different set of libraries than they are combined with at
>> runtime.
>>
>> You don't mention if you're compiling kdesvn yourself, too.
>> If not done carefully, installing and running a mixture of
>> vendor-provided
>> distribution packages and self-compiled binaries can cause subtle
>> problems,
>> such as apparently random crashes, or unresolved symbol errors like
>> you are
>> seeing. These can of course be fixed and worked around, but I'd like to
>> encourage you to use pre-compiled packages from your distribution vendor
>> instead.
>  >
>> Why are you compiling your own binaries? If you use binary packages
>> you won't have any such problems.
>
> I want to make my own Linux distribution and I've compiled from source
> almost every package except for firefox, thunderbird, and openoffice.
>
> I agree that this is a local installation problem.  However, I am not
> equally sure that the problem is *not* with Subversion: if the problem
> is with some other package, can you explain how this package can "force"
> libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0 to use an undefined symbol (GENERAL_NAME_free)?
>
> Just for information, neon was installed before subversion, and
> subversion was installed before kdesvn.
>
> Please note that I'm only trying to diagnose the problem.  I'm not
> saying that subversion is buggy -- in fact, the problem might be in the
> way I configured (or built) subversion. I'm just seeking help here...
>
> Btw, could neon from Subversion's package have anything to do with this
> issue?

It seems that configuring Subversion with '--with-neon=/usr' solved the
problem.

Angel Tsankov

Re: libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0: undefined symbol: GENERAL_NAME_free

Posted by Angel Tsankov <fn...@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>.
Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 09:19:26AM +0300, Angel Tsankov wrote:
>> Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>>> 20.7.2010 г. 14:32 +0300, /Angel Tsankov/:

>>> This is user mailing list for the general Subversion
>>> distribution/client. I guess your question is more appropriate for
>>> the kdesvn mailing list.
>>>
>> Since the problem is with libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0 (which is part of
>> Subversion), I think my question is appropriate for this mailing
>> list, as well.
>
> The problem is most probably not with Subversion.
> We get reports similar to yours quite a lot, and they usually are local
> installation problems.
>
> You most likely have a local problem with your installation of Subversion
> and related software. Quite possibly your kdesvn libraries were linked
> against a different set of libraries than they are combined with at runtime.
>
> You don't mention if you're compiling kdesvn yourself, too.
> If not done carefully, installing and running a mixture of vendor-provided
> distribution packages and self-compiled binaries can cause subtle problems,
> such as apparently random crashes, or unresolved symbol errors like you are
> seeing. These can of course be fixed and worked around, but I'd like to
> encourage you to use pre-compiled packages from your distribution vendor
> instead.
 >
> Why are you compiling your own binaries? If you use binary packages
> you won't have any such problems.

I want to make my own Linux distribution and I've compiled from source
almost every package except for firefox, thunderbird, and openoffice.

I agree that this is a local installation problem.  However, I am not
equally sure that the problem is *not* with Subversion: if the problem
is with some other package, can you explain how this package can "force"
libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0 to use an undefined symbol (GENERAL_NAME_free)?

Just for information, neon was installed before subversion, and
subversion was installed before kdesvn.

Please note that I'm only trying to diagnose the problem.  I'm not
saying that subversion is buggy -- in fact, the problem might be in the
way I configured (or built) subversion. I'm just seeking help here...

Btw, could neon from Subversion's package have anything to do with this
issue?

Thanks for your long answer,
Angel Tsankov

Re: libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0: undefined symbol: GENERAL_NAME_free

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 09:19:26AM +0300, Angel Tsankov wrote:
> Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
> >20.7.2010 г. 14:32 +0300, /Angel Tsankov/:
> >
> >>When I run kdesvn I get a dialog showing the following message:
> >>
> >>Could not find our part: Cannot load library
> >>/usr/lib/kde4/kdesvnpart.so: (/usr/lib/libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0:
> >>undefined symbol: GENERAL_NAME_free)
> >>
> >>Files /usr/lib/kde4/kdesvnpart.so and
> >>/usr/lib/libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0 both exist. The former is part of
> >>kdesvn and the latter is part of subversion. In case this is
> >>relevant, I have installed the following packages:
> >>
> >>* openssl 0.9.8j (configured with --prefix=/usr --openssldir=/usr/share);
> >>* neon 0.28.4 (configured with --prefix=/usr --with-ssl);
> >>* subversion 1.6.12 (configured with --prefix=/usr).
> >>
> >>Do I need to upgrade openssl or neon? Or is the problem elsewhere?
> >
> >This is user mailing list for the general Subversion
> >distribution/client. I guess your question is more appropriate for
> >the kdesvn mailing list.
> >

> Since the problem is with libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0 (which is part of
> Subversion), I think my question is appropriate for this mailing
> list, as well.

The problem is most probably not with Subversion.
We get reports similar to yours quite a lot, and they usually are local
installation problems.

You most likely have a local problem with your installation of Subversion
and related software. Quite possibly your kdesvn libraries were linked
against a different set of libraries than they are combined with at runtime.

You don't mention if you're compiling kdesvn yourself, too.
If not done carefully, installing and running a mixture of vendor-provided
distribution packages and self-compiled binaries can cause subtle problems,
such as apparently random crashes, or unresolved symbol errors like you are
seeing. These can of course be fixed and worked around, but I'd like to
encourage you to use pre-compiled packages from your distribution vendor
instead.

Why are you compiling your own binaries? If you use binary packages
you won't have any such problems.

If your reason for compiling your own binaries is that you are using a
source-based Linux distribution, please seek help at the appropriate forum
of that distribution.

Thanks,
Stefan

Re: libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0: undefined symbol: GENERAL_NAME_free

Posted by Angel Tsankov <fn...@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>.

Posted by Stanimir Stamenkov <s7...@netscape.net>.

--
Stanimir