Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Arnau <ar...@andromeiberica.com> on 2006/04/25 15:14:54 UTC

[users@httpd] How to avoid the duplication of file?

Hi all,

   I have 10 different sites written in php running on linux, each of
them is quite big (some of them with more than 1000 scripts). Theses
sites share the most part of the scripts, I'd say that more of the 95%
of the code is shared among all of them. The problem I have is when I
upload a new version of some file, I have to update all the 10 sites.
I'd like to have the files in just one place and then create links, so
it'd be necessary just to update the files in one place. I was thinking
in creating hard links but you can't create them on directories, and
create a symbolic link for each file is a pain. What you'd recommend me?
I think a lot of people already has had this problem.

Cheers!
--
Arnau

Re: [users@httpd] How to avoid the duplication of file?

Posted by Kishore Jalleda <kj...@gmail.com>.
You dont have to create sumbolic links for each file, if you can identify
the shared code, then just put all of it in a directory like
"/htdocs/common/" , and then create symbolic links in each of the Sites/VH'S
that need to access the common directory (since you can create sym links for
directories).

This approach might give the hint of exposing files that belong to one site
to other sites, but since the code is common they would implicitly be
exposed anyway, so I guess you can give it a shot.

The site structure might look like this

<site1>
/htdocs/site1/common1 -> ../../common

<site 2>
/htdocs/site2/common2 -> ../../common

So essentially each site has its own Document root /htdocs/site1,
/htdocs/site2, etc, which would contain a folders called common1, common2,
etc, each of which are just Sym Links to the directory /htdocs/common/ ...

Kishore Jalleda
http://kjalleda.googlepages.com/