Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2012/01/29 02:15:29 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Regular rotation PMC chair

There's always the perennial chat here and there about rotating the PMC chair on a regular basis. It's my understanding that other PMCs have adopted this policy and are quite happy with it.  It's also my understanding that some in this community think it would be a good idea to do it here.

Good idea?  What should be the term length?  Should the current chair be forced to resign or can the person re-run for the next term?  If forced to resign can the person re-run for a term sometime in the future?  If not forced to resign is there a limit to the number of terms that can be held?

Regards,
Alan

Re: [DISCUSSION] Regular rotation PMC chair

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Jan 28, 2012, at 5:15 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> There's always the perennial chat here and there about rotating the PMC chair on a regular basis. It's my understanding that other PMCs have adopted this policy and are quite happy with it.  It's also my understanding that some in this community think it would be a good idea to do it here.
>
> Good idea?  What should be the term length?  Should the current chair be forced to resign or can the person re-run for the next term?  If forced to resign can the person re-run for a term sometime in the future?  If not forced to resign is there a limit to the number of terms that can be held?

I like the idea of an annual election so that there aren't any hard feelings.  I personally have no problem with the same person being re-elected every year.  This is pretty much what the members do with the board elections - some members have served for a long time while others rotate more frequently.  Personally, I would prefer it if this was an across the board policy that applied to all PMCs.

Ralph

Re: [DISCUSSION] Regular rotation PMC chair

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 01/29/2012 09:37 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2012, at 12:16 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:

>>> Good point.  I share the same opinion.
>>
>> Let me try to state some alternatives:
>>
>> 1) No particular policy: The PMC has no special policy about
>> recommending a new chair to the board. It will happen if the chair
>> resigns, or if the PMC as a whole reaches a consensus on a change.
>>
>> 2) Fixed election schedule: On some schedule (e.g. annually),
>> nominations are opened, including potentially the current chair, and a
>> vote takes place. (I'd hate to have to fire up the full secret ballot
>> mechanism used for board members.) Whomever wins is recommended to the
>> board.
>>
>> 3) Rotation policy: On some schedule, the PMC chooses a new chair to
>> recommend to the board 'whether it needs one or not.' This could be
>> viewed as 'term limits'.
>>
>> If we don't reach a consensus on something else, we stick with the
>> current state of affairs, which is, I claim, (1).
>>
>> We could adopt both (2) and (3): purely for example, we could have an
>> annual election, but a 5-year maximum on continuous service.
>
> My preference is option 2 alone. I don't see the point of "term limits" as I believe that will take care of itself.  I'm not in favor of 1 because it always seems to end up feeling like it is personal when people bring up rotating the chair - i.e. isn't the current chair doing a good enough job, the current chair should say they want to resign first, etc., rather than it just being time to allow the PMC to reevaluate itself

+1 for option 2 (alone) as well, and fully agree with Ralph's arguments.

Concerning having to 'fire up the full secret ballot mechanism used for board',
I would think that not necessarily nor often needed. As I said earlier, if there
are no other candidates and the current Chair is willing to serve another term,
which could be determined by a simple and lazy consensus heads-up email on
private@, there need not be held any format vote as long as everybody is aware
of the fact.

Regards, Ate

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Christian Grobmeier
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

>>> Let me try to state some alternatives:
>>>
>>> 1) No particular policy: The PMC has no special policy about
>>> recommending a new chair to the board. It will happen if the chair
>>> resigns, or if the PMC as a whole reaches a consensus on a change.
>>>
>>> 2) Fixed election schedule: On some schedule (e.g. annually),
>>> nominations are opened, including potentially the current chair, and a
>>> vote takes place. (I'd hate to have to fire up the full secret ballot
>>> mechanism used for board members.) Whomever wins is recommended to the
>>> board.
>>> If we don't reach a consensus on something else, we stick with the
>>> current state of affairs, which is, I claim, (1).

+1. I would like it changed.

>> My preference is option 2 alone. I don't see the point of
>> "term limits" as I believe that will take care of itself.  I'm
>> not in favor of 1 because it always seems to end up
>> feeling like it is personal when people bring up rotating
>> the chair - i.e. isn't the current chair doing a good enough
>> job, the current chair should say they want to resign first,
>> etc., rather than it just being time to allow the PMC to
>> reevaluate itself
>
> +1 for option 2 and what Ralph said

+1

cheers,

Leo

Re: [DISCUSSION] Regular rotation PMC chair

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [DISCUSSION] Regular rotation PMC chair

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.
On Jan 30, 2012, at 4:29 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
>> ...I just realize something not clear from this proposal: are we *only* talking
>> about the Incubator PMC Chair here, or is this a proposal for every PMC
>> Chair?
>> I presumed (and propose) the latter, but maybe that wasn't the intend (yet)...
>
> We're talking only about the Incubator PMC chair, no need to
> generalize this IMO and this list wouldn't be the right place anyway.

Actually, I wish this was a policy that every PMC followed, but this is definitely the wrong list for that. However, simply having the incubator do it might be enough of an example to encourage other projects to do the same.

Ralph

RE: [DISCUSSION] Regular rotation PMC chair

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

I agree that it shouldn't be a requirement, which is why I was thinking recommendation; but, I see your point that the new PMCs need to be self-determining.  I was looking more for exposure to the concept for the new PMCs; which, as you noted, is something that the mentors can work to provide.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 01/30/2012 10:17 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 30 January 2012 09:11, Bertrand Delacretaz<bd...@apache.org>  wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Benson Margulies<bi...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> ...2) Fixed election schedule: On some schedule (e.g. annually),
>>> nominations are opened, including potentially the current chair, and a
>>> vote takes place...
>>
>> +1 to this option.
>

> +1
>
> I suggest the date be 30 days after the board elections. The calibre
> of people we need here is the same calibre as those on the board. By
> making these elections shortly after the board elections we allow
> people to manage their commitments better.

I just realize something not clear from this proposal: are we *only* talking
about the Incubator PMC Chair here, or is this a proposal for every PMC Chair?
I presumed (and propose) the latter, but maybe that wasn't the intend (yet).

Ate

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 30 January 2012 09:11, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...2) Fixed election schedule: On some schedule (e.g. annually),
>> nominations are opened, including potentially the current chair, and a
>> vote takes place...
>
> +1 to this option.

+1

I suggest the date be 30 days after the board elections. The calibre
of people we need here is the same calibre as those on the board. By
making these elections shortly after the board elections we allow
people to manage their commitments better.

Ross

> -Bertrand

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)
OpenDirective http://opendirective.com

Re: [DISCUSSION] Regular rotation PMC chair

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...2) Fixed election schedule: On some schedule (e.g. annually),
> nominations are opened, including potentially the current chair, and a
> vote takes place...

+1 to this option.

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSSION] Regular rotation PMC chair

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 01/29/2012 02:15 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
On 01/29/2012 02:15 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> There's always the perennial chat here and there about rotating the PMC chair on a regular basis. It's my understanding that other PMCs have adopted this policy and are quite happy with it.  It's also my understanding that some in this community think it would be a good idea to do it here.
>
> Good idea?  What should be the term length?  Should the current chair be forced to resign or can the person re-run for the next term?  If forced to resign can the person re-run for a term sometime in the future?  If not forced to resign is there a limit to the number of terms that can be held?

I think it is a good idea to have the position of the PMC Chair limited to a
pre-defined term, so everybody knows and recognizes this is as an appointed
position, not tied to a specific person.
I think it is healthy both for the community *and* the appointed PMC Chair
itself, to not get too much 'attached' or accustomed to the position, which
could make it increasingly more difficult to 'detach' from it over time. Or that
a community simply doesn't recognize it anymore as something questionable.

IMO a PMC Chair which has and retains the support of the rest of the PMC need
not resign and can maintain that position for as long the PMC supports it.
But it would be good to 'touch base' after every term, making it easier and less
awkward for others to step up proposing themselves, or others, as candidate for
a next term.
If nobody else is proposed as candidate (and the current Chair is willing to
continue), everything stays the same. But it should be notified to the board in
the next report the current PMC Chair was re-elected for the next term.

What length such a term should be, probably can be discussed endlessly, and I
expect it will be, if we make it an important topic. IMO it is not.

 From a pragmatic POV I propose a one year term, same as with the Board's term

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Jan 28, 2012, at 6:20 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> Should the current chair be forced to resign
>
> I'm not going to make an issue of it.

I didn't interpret this as directed at you but at what a new policy on regular elections of a PMC should be.

Ralph

RE: [DISCUSSION] Regular rotation PMC chair

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Should the current chair be forced to resign

I'm not going to make an issue of it.

	--- Noel