Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Rene Kochen <re...@schange.com> on 2013/06/28 12:04:26 UTC

Cluster processing not balanced

Hi All,

I have the following situation:

- Cassandra 1.0.11
- A 6 node cluster
- Random partitioner
- Tokens are balanced (according to node-tool)
- Data-load is balanced (according to node-tool)

I have a customers column-family with 1000000 customers. I also have a test
client which requests random customers from the cluster in a round-robin
fashion, i.e. each request is targeted to a different machine and each
request contains a random customer-id (a number in the range of 0 -
1000000).

What I see is that one node (node 4) is only proxying. Node 4 does receive
requests. I can see that in the storage-proxy counters. However, I see in
the Customers column-family a zero in the ReadCount counter (local reads).
Node 4 should also serve reads because I have 1000000 customers in the
cluster, the cluster is balanced and I do requests with random
customer-ids. In fact, two of the four nodes have this behavior. The result
is that the processing load within the cluster is not balanced.

I have never witnessed this behavior before.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Rene

Re: Cluster processing not balanced

Posted by Rene Kochen <re...@schange.com>.
I found the issue.

Stupid mistake.

Although I have 1000000 customers in the cluster, I do a get_range_slices
to get the first 10000 customers. I use these customers as a seed for my
test program. I random select customers from that set and fire requests at
the cluster. Those 10000 customers all reside on the first node (actually
the first three nodes because of the replication factor of three).

Thanks,

Rene