Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Vitalii Diravka <vi...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/15 17:31:02 UTC

Re: Long running query succeeds but UI times out?

Hi James,

This is the mail for user mailing list.
There is no attachment, please upload it to Google Drive, for instance, and
give us the link.

Did you try to use Drill SqlLine?

Kind regards
Vitalii

Posted by Kunal Khatua <ku...@apache.org>.
Hi James

The problem you're describing could be due to multiple factors. Typically, browsers don't specify a timeout for a request it sends to the server (Amazon, in this case), but it can be safe to assume that it is reasonably long.

You said that things work great for small scale data or simpler queries, but hits this 'timeout' for more complex ones. Drill, as such, will not timeout the query when running via the WebUI. It is more likely that AWS is terminating the connection as it does not see any activity on the wire.

The WebUI is mostly an exploratory tool to help users navigate around and sample their data without the hassle of setting up more powerful tools like SQuirreL or DBeaver. Hence, using the WebUI to run queries that return large result sets is impractical and risks slowing (or, until Drill 1.13, crashing) the Drillbit.

If you cannot use a 3rd party tool like SQuirreL for such scenarios, you can follow Nitin's suggestion of using CTAS or C(Temp)TAS command to write your resultset to a new table for a deeper analysis.This is akin to doing a small ETL step, and you don't risk losing the results if your browser connection breaks. You can simply connect back and query the new table (if it is ready).

Hope this helps!
~ Kunal

On 9/15/2018 12:23:48 PM, Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi James

you can try creating CTAS query and write the results back to s3 and then
query the data from resulted table

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Long running query succeeds but UI times out?

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi James

--
Nitin Pawar