Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Fernández <af...@tid.es> on 2001/07/09 12:24:20 UTC

Copyright issues (was Re: DOC: Table of Contents)

Hi Alex!

Alex Chaffee wrote:
> A note on copyright: I'm claiming copyright for this document, since I
> may use parts of it to write articles or books, and I haven't done the
> research on what it means to post text (as opposed to code) into an
> Apache project. I'd contribute it explicitly as open source if I were
> sure I'd keep my rights to use it too. If anyone can enlighten me on
> this topic, please respond with a separate subject line (like
> "Copyrights") so we can keep discussions of copyright separate from
> discussions of the table of contents itself. The copyright will not
> prevent other Apache contributors from using or editing it or adding it
> to the code base -- that is, I want to preserve *my* right to use it in
> a non-Apache context, but also to grant Apache the right to use it too.
> If that's even possible. I'm confused.

On www.gnu.org you can read the following:

---
Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA
02111, USA

Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is permitted in
any medium, provided this notice is preserved.

Updated: $Date: 2001/06/29 17:42:09 $ $Author: rms $
---

For all I know, (c) in software is not essentially different from (c)
issues in text. Of course, the concept has been borrowed from there,
otherwise we would use patents. In fact, you can "copyleft" a book, or
BSD-like-license an essay.

But I don't know much anyway. Perhaps the following link would be
useful:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonsoftware-copyleft.html

Un saludo,

Alex.

Re: Copyright issues (was Re: DOC: Table of Contents)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
For Apache projects, documentation is licensed under the same license as
the code (i.e. "documentation" is "software").  If you check it in to an
Apache repository, it needs to have the Apache license (including the
Apache copyright on it).

Of course, that also gives you the right to use the docs under the same
terms as you can use the software.

Note that discussion of GPL licensing for docs isn't really relevant to
Tomcat documentation.

Craig