Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by James French <Ja...@naturalmotion.com> on 2013/09/09 13:14:49 UTC

svn: E120104: ra_serf: An error occurred during decompression

Hi list,

I hit this when doing a reintegrate merge with svn 1.8.3 (tortoisesvn 1.8.2). I repeated the operation with svn 1.7.8 and it did not occur. The following section in the STATUS file looks highly relevant:

* ^/subversion/branches/1.8.x-serf-1.3+-windows
   Allow compiling against serf 1.3 and later on Windows
   Justification:
     Serf 1.3 brings a lot of fixes that we need for 1.8.x stability.
   Notes:
     The dependency handling on Windows was updated for 1.9+, so this
     needs a specific backport patch (r1517123)
   Votes:
     +1: rhuijben, brane

Cheers,
James

RE: E120104: ra_serf: An error occurred during decompression

Posted by James French <Ja...@naturalmotion.com>.
Hmm, actually I made a mistake. The merge was done through our own gui tool that actually uses svn 1.8.1 command line. Looks like there are a few serf fixes in 1.8.3 but the status entry I found looks very suspicious.

The current TortoiseSVN is already compiled against serf 1.3 as far as I can tell.
(TortoiseSVN uses its own custom build system and this patch just affects the build system)

                Bert

RE: svn: E120104: ra_serf: An error occurred during decompression

Posted by James French <Ja...@naturalmotion.com>.
I guess the final thing to add is that I was using 1.8.1 collabnet x64 and 1.7.3 wandisco 1.8.3 (serf 1.3.1). The 1.8.1 version doesn't report which version of serf is being used but their changelog indicates it might be 1.2.1:

Version 1.8.1
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion/

 Changes to included binaries:
    * Subversion upgraded to 1.8.1.
    * APR 1.4.8.
    * APR-Util 1.5.2.
    * Httpd 2.2.25.
    * Sqlite3 3.7.17.

Version 1.8.0-2
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion/

 Changes to included binaries:
    * Subversion upgraded to 1.8.0.
    * OpenSSL 1.0.1e.
    * Serf 1.2.1.
    * Neon removed.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM, James French <James.French@naturalmotion.com
> wrote:

Serf 1.3.1 was not released until after SVN 1.8.1 came out.  So pretty much
anyone's SVN 1.8.1 binaries would be using Serf 1.3.0 or earlier.

To answer the general question, while most SVN distros do happen to be
using the same versions of most of these dependencies they are nonetheless
absolutely dependent on the distro and what version they happen to have
used to build the distribution.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

RE: svn: E120104: ra_serf: An error occurred during decompression

Posted by James French <Ja...@naturalmotion.com>.

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James French <Ja...@naturalmotion.com>.

Posted by James French <Ja...@naturalmotion.com>.

> I hit this when doing a reintegrate merge with svn 1.8.3 (tortoisesvn
> 1.8.2). I repeated the operation with svn 1.7.8 and it did not occur.

This looks very much like the error I ran into during testing of 1.8.3, and which spawned the following discussion on the dev-list:

    http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2013-08/0386.shtml

(it was with an 'svn export' over plain http of a tag of the subversion project itself, but the problem might be the same)

Lieven Govaerts and Ivan Zhakov have been trying to find the exact problem in the serf http-library (with me trying various patches and reproducing the issue), but so far without success.

It's good to know that now I'm not the only one seeing this problem.

Likewise :-)

Can you report your OS version please?

Windows7 x64

Can you reproduce it with Antivirus disabled?

I'm first trying with 1.8.3, then I'll try without antivirus/compression. Takes a long time as it's a massive checkout.

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.