Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> on 2020/11/10 23:33:34 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

10 November 2020 - Apache OpenOffice, the leading Open Source office
document productivity suite, announced today Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8,
now available in 41 languages on Windows, macOS and Linux.

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 is a maintenance release aimed at correcting
some regressions and delivering the latest English dictionary. All users
of Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 or earlier are advised to upgrade.

For the complete overview see the list in Bugzilla:
https://s.apache.org/AOO-418changes

Full version of this announcement:
https://s.apache.org/AOO-418announcement

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 Release Notes:
https://s.apache.org/AOO-418releasenotes

Download Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 from the original source only:
https://www.openoffice.org/download/

Follow Apache OpenOffice:
Twitter https://twitter.com/apacheoo
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ApacheOO
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/openoffice

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

>>> I can't believe that after all the effort this release is going to
>>> fall short because Sourceforge doesn't have the servers.
>>>
>>> Currently the only options available are
>>>
>>>       Auto-select
>>>       SourceForge (San Diego, California, US)
>>>
>>> You can't even choose the mirror manually!
>>
>> wow, thats not good. Previously we had 12 (?) mirrors. So, the
>> availability was much, much better. Now it's a kind of lottery if you
>> get the download file.
>
> I get only 1 mirror with every file I look at...
>
> With 4.1.7 it scaled up to 28 mirrors for some files.
>
> May be a matter of time?

hm, then SF needs a longer time than for previous releases.

@Dave:
Can you help us here? What can we do to improve the situation?

Thanks

Marcus

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
Hi Matthias, all

> On 11/11/2020 4:41 PM Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:

> May be a matter of time?

Yes, let's hope so. But I expect that 6 days should be enough to synchronize more than one mirror.

Regarding Microsoft's bad will, I think this is a little too much

https://i.imgur.com/dTZVLcK.png

It's in Portuguese but the message should be understandable. Even if The ASF is recognized as the Publisher, it still warns you and asks if you want to execute the installer because the application is NOT recognized and could harm the user's system???

Do we have to pay Microsoft to put it in the Windows Store???

Regards,
Pedro

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Marcus,

Am 11.11.20 um 17:37 schrieb Marcus:
> Am 11.11.20 um 17:26 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>>> On 11/11/2020 3:54 PM Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>
>>> wrote:
>>
>> I can't believe that after all the effort this release is going to
>> fall short because Sourceforge doesn't have the servers.
>>
>> Currently the only options available are
>>
>>      Auto-select
>>      SourceForge (San Diego, California, US)
>>
>> You can't even choose the mirror manually!
>
> wow, thats not good. Previously we had 12 (?) mirrors. So, the
> availability was much, much better. Now it's a kind of lottery if you
> get the download file.

I get only 1 mirror with every file I look at...

With 4.1.7 it scaled up to 28 mirrors for some files.

May be a matter of time?

Matthias

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 11.11.20 um 17:31 schrieb Rory O'Farrell:

> Previous release took about 24 hours to propagate to all the servers worldwide.

the initial upload was on 05th / 06th November, so already far above of
24 hours. ;-)

Marcus

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
Previous release took about 24 hours to propagate to all the servers worldwide.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi,

Am 11.11.20 um 17:32 schrieb Bidouille:
> Thanks all team for this job
> Is it possible to update french homepage with this news?
> https://fr.openoffice.org
> https://www.cjoint.com/doc/20_11/JKlqGvF0dKY_Capture.PNG

Just one minute... ;-)

Matthias

Posted by Bidouille <oo...@free.fr>.
Thanks all team for this job

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
Hi Matthias, all

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi,

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SmartScreen#Windows

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

I do not want to continue this kind of discussion, because it does more harm than good.

I can only tell you, with a pure heart, that I would have expected only approval for my criticism, because I thought the use of "upgrade" was an mistake, but it seems that even on the question of update vs. upgrade there are completely contrary opinions.

Jörg

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 11.11.20 um 19:34 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> [...]

no, I always don't look for my writings.
Come on. ;-)

> at first:
> "a new release within the 4.1.x release branch _cannot be big_ by definition of the version schema"
>
> and to this I say: you are absolutely right
>
> but then you write:
> "_so_ using the word "upgrade" is not wrong."
>
> and to this I say: if the change is small it would rather be an "update", because "upgrade" generally applies to larger changes

Maybe because I see and understand it from the other side?

Also Wikipedia explains the difference between "update" and "upgrade" in
this direction (sorry, only in German):

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upgrade#Unterschied_zwischen_Upgrade,_Update_und_Downgrade

But I don't claim that Wikipedia is always right. Nor my opitions.

Marcus

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 11.11.20 um 14:48 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

It's just that I (as a single person!) don't share your opinion. Not
more and not less.

I don't speak for all in the project. So, when we all agree that the
wording shuld be improved, we can of course change it for the next release.

Marcus

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Agreed they look wrong, but unsure if it is an issue w/ the packaging... let me look more.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
AOO418-GA is tagged

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.