Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ajit Ratnaparkhi <aj...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/19 08:00:08 UTC

Max limit on count of elements in value list of reduce function

Hi,

I have a question regarding reduce functionality.

A reduce function receives key and list of values as argument, is there any
limit on count of value elements in value list which is received as
argument?
Can there be milions of elements in value list? Will it degrade performance
somehow? Does it keep all value elements of list in memory?

thanks,
Ajit.

Re: Max limit on count of elements in value list of reduce function

Posted by Ashwanth Kumar <as...@googlemail.com>.
Reading from the docs at  http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopMapReduce,
Map operation outputs are written onto files on HDFS scattered across
multiple nodes, and judging by it there should not be any limit as such
imposed by framework.

For the question for degrading the performance, isn't that what Hadoop was
built for in the first place?

 - Ashwanth