Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Andreas Neumann <ne...@karto.baug.ethz.ch> on 2005/12/20 10:17:56 UTC

Re: SVG 1.2 beta release

Urs Reupke wrote:
> thomas.deweese@kodak.com wrote:
>> My current leaning would be a release of 1.6.1 off the svg11 branch,
>> but I am open to debate on a 1.7 from the trunk (svg 1.2 code).  It
>> is also possible that we could
>> have both 1.6.1 stable, and 1.7beta or some such.
>
> What's the situation with SVG 1.2? Is there finalization of the drafts
> to be expected anytime soon? If not, are they still being revised or
> just bidding their time until they become recommendations?
the SVG Tiny 1.2 spec is in "Last Call" and more or less stable, not
many changes expected here.

However, for the SVG 1.2 Full profile (which is an extension of SVG
Tiny), there are changes to be expected. It will need a couple more
months to stabilize the full profile.

> In other words - how interesting to the general public (up to and
> including me) would an 1.7beta release be, assuming that one wouldn't
> want to revise his code every three month?
> I remember reading that Batik's SVG 1.2 had some differences from
> W3C's - is that correct, or were these just "working differences"
> until the draft was / is finalized?
Well I wouldn't recommend building production code on SVG 1.2 features
yet, but a 1.7beta release would still make sense for many useres
interested in experimenting with some of the new SVG 1.2 features.

So, in my opinion it would make sense to release both versions (1.6.1
and 1.7beta), if the effort of releasing two versions is not too big for
the Batik developers.

Just my two cents,

Andreas

Andreas Neumann - Institute of Cartography
ETH Hoenggerberg
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/