Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net> on 2012/11/06 23:23:21 UTC

Advanced network setup with CS and VSphere 5 - is this feasible?

I have a vSphere cluster with 3 nodes I'd like to add to CS

Since we are not using AWS like structure and more of an old fashioned typical corporate setup, I'm curious if its at all doable.

My Setup as follows:

3 vSphere hypervisors with following network setup

                vSwitch0 - 2 NON-TRUNKED NICs associated
                                Management Network
No VLAN TAGGING
IP Range 10.0.1.x/24

                vSwitch 2 - 2 TRUNKED NICs associated
                                DEV VLAN
VLAN TAG ID 1000
                                                IP Range 10.0.2.x/23

                                MGMT VLAN
VLAN TAG ID 1100
IP Range 10.0.1.x/24 (same as above vSwitch0)

The above is a sample VSPhere architecture I have for Developers Cluster,

The goal is to be able to deploy VMs on both networks - DEV VLAN and MGMT VLAN by using Projects or Domains and associating it with CS TAGs.

I tried diving in to advanced networking, but cant seem to get it to work right no matter what I try. Hence I'm reaching out for help here.

Pretext:
I don't use dVs in this setup since CS does not yet support dVs. For sake of simplicity - this is a completely new zone. The management nodes of CS must reside on MGMT VLAN on vSwitch2.

As always, your feedback is appreciated,

Thanks
ilya

RE: Advanced network setup with CS and VSphere 5 - is this feasible?

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Thank you Kelven,

I'm trying this out now. I had a similar setup before, but the network offerings would not show up in cloudstack UI, I will try through APIs next.

Regards
ilya

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Your issue seems easy to address with either custom allocators, proper tag  usage or direct api calls.

In my case, I can't get the groundwork to function properly..

Thank you for the feedback

Regards
Ilya

Caleb Call <ca...@me.com> wrote:
We spent a short while working on getting something similar going, but since we had the resources to go another route we abandoned it fairly quickly.  Instead, we only needed basic zone functionality (internal corporate usage) so we have setup Zones for each environment. (Management server on mgmt vlan, dev cluster is on dev vlan, test cluster is on test vlan, etc).  We tried separating at the POD level, but were not able to determine which cluster a new instance was spun up on using the GUI.  If that functionality was included in the GUI, you could do the same thing at the POD level instead of at the Zone level.  We are using XS instead of VMWare, but I'm sure you could do something similar.

Posted by Caleb Call <ca...@me.com>.