Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2020/08/10 10:04:29 UTC

Should we open a SIS channel on Slack?

Hello all

The Apache Foundation has a workspace on Slack on which people can
discuss issues, solve problems, etc. in real-time [1]. There is channel
for some existing ASF projects. Should we create a channel for SIS? For
those familiar with Element (previously named Riot), it seems very similar.

If I understood correctly from discussion on ASF community mailing list,
active Slack accounts cost some money to the ASF. So maybe we should
create that channel only if we intent to use it. But I think it may help
to move some discussions in a more open space.

     Martin

[1] https://infra.apache.org/slack.html

Re: Should we open a SIS channel on Slack?

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Bruno

Thanks for the feedback. Having hear no objection, I just created a #sis
channel on the-asf.slack.com. I presume that creating channel is free
for the ASF.

Peoples having an email address in @apache.org (i.e. all Apache members
and committers) can join at this link: https://the-asf.slack.com/

Other peoples can be invited if they wish. The Apache ISIS project has a
nice documentation about the invitation process:
https://isis.apache.org/docs/2.0.0-M3/support/slack-channel.html

I presume that the #sis channel will be quiet at least at first. I
didn't though about using it as a reminder for vote threads. Thanks
Bruno for the tip!

     Martin

Re: Equation on the web page (was: Should we open a SIS channel on Slack?)

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Shah

Note: this is a different thread than the original one about Slack channel.

Le 10/08/2020 à 12:38, shah.ahmed@seanews.co.uk a écrit :

> I'm looking at the equations and the website pages, I assume that this
> is all to do with Mapping?

I'm not sure which pages we are talking about? The Apache SIS developer
guide [1] and the Javadoc (e.g. [2]) have some equations, but most of
them are somewhat specific to SIS. For example some equations give the
matrices created by SIS for representing a unit conversion. If you are
looking for map projection formulas, a good reference (the main
reference used by SIS actually) is:

    EPSG Guidance Note 7-2
    Coordinate Conversions and Transformations including Formulas
    https://epsg.org/guidance-notes.html

Wikipedia and Mathworld are also useful references (there is links to
those pages in SIS javadoc), but they usually have formulas for a
spherical Earth only (i.e. ignoring the flattening at poles).

     Martin

[1] http://sis.apache.org/book/en/developer-guide.html
[2] http://sis.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/sis/referencing/cs/CoordinateSystems.html#swapAndScaleAxes(org.opengis.referencing.cs.CoordinateSystem,org.opengis.referencing.cs.CoordinateSystem)

RE: Should we open a SIS channel on Slack?

Posted by sh...@seanews.co.uk.