Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Casey Sybrandy <Ca...@six3systems.com> on 2012/08/08 20:22:13 UTC

Kafka brokers in a VM

Hello,

Has anyone deployed their kafka brokers within a VM?  Are their any
performance issues?  I'd expect that once we start hitting it hard, the
disk writes will be an issue, however I wanted to get some additional
information.

Thanks.

Casey

Re: Kafka brokers in a VM

Posted by Matthew Rathbone <ma...@foursquare.com>.
It's a question we're asking ourselves at the moment too :-), was hoping
you might have had some insight.

Out of curiosity - How are your EBS drives set up? Are they on a raid-0?

Re: Kafka brokers in a VM

Posted by Evan Chan <ev...@ooyala.com>.

Re: Kafka brokers in a VM

Posted by Matthew Rathbone <ma...@foursquare.com>.

Re: Kafka brokers in a VM

Posted by Evan Chan <ev...@ooyala.com>.
We run Kafka instances on AWS and I had posted performance #'s before.
 We achieve around 20MB/sec IO throughput, with the Kafka messages
stored in EBS, using reiserfs.  I wonder how much faster we could get
though, using 1) ext4, and 2) SSDs.

-Evan

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Erich Nachbar <er...@nachbar.biz> wrote:
> We are running 3 Kafka instances on Proxmox (container based
> virtualization, with typical 1-5% overhead) in production.
>
> While I have not benchmarked Kafka on it, other systems I performance
> tested before on Proxmox showed no measurable performance difference. It
> runs OpenVZ under the hood for its containers, which is loved by all the
> cheap $15/mo hosters for its efficiency.
>
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In the past I had used AWS for some performance testing. I didn't see
>> anything too unexpected other than the usual overhead on first write and
>> general mediocre AWS network performance.
>>
>> -jay
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Casey Sybrandy <
>> Casey.Sybrandy@six3systems.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Has anyone deployed their kafka brokers within a VM?  Are their any
>> > performance issues?  I'd expect that once we start hitting it hard, the
>> > disk writes will be an issue, however I wanted to get some additional
>> > information.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Casey

Evan Chan