Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/25 17:24:03 UTC

Adding Monitoring to MINA 3.0

Folks,

Since we have M1 release, we can think about adding Monitoring support to
MINA.

Yammer's Metrics package is quite widely used for this.

http://metrics.codahale.com/

I do not have a concrete idea on how to go about putting monitoring in
place. It would be worth discussing about it.

We can use to monitor

bytes in/out
Queue lengths
Protocol Messages in/out
# IO Listener
Events Connect/Idle etc
JVM stuff (http://metrics.codahale.com/manual/jvm/)

wdyt?

--
thanks
ashish

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog

Re: Adding Monitoring to MINA 3.0

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@gmail.com>.
nice idea, would like to see a metrics module providing IoFilter using
metrics.codahale.
--
Julien Vermillard :::: http://people.apache.org/~jvermillard/

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
Welcome back Edouard :)

I am banging my head to get an Avro codec for a while. Let me see if I can
get something, else will use COAP module to prototype this monitoring,
before pushing it into core.

Julien: I doubt it can simply take the form of IoFilter. With IoFilter it
would be limited, like to get ProtocolMessage in/out, it need to be with
decoder. to early to say, but lets play and refine our approach.

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.
+1 for JMX

--
Jeff MAURY

working and scaling.
 - Bjarne Stroustrup

http://www.jeffmaury.com
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeffmaury

Re: Adding Monitoring to MINA 3.0

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Le 7/25/13 5:24 PM, Ashish a écrit :
>> > Folks,
>> >
>> > Since we have M1 release, we can think about adding Monitoring support to
>> > MINA.
>> >
>> > Yammer's Metrics package is quite widely used for this.
>> >
>> > http://metrics.codahale.com/
>> >
>> > I do not have a concrete idea on how to go about putting monitoring in
>> > place. It would be worth discussing about it.
>> >
>> > We can use to monitor
>> >
>> > bytes in/out
>> > Queue lengths
>> > Protocol Messages in/out
>> > # IO Listener
>> > Events Connect/Idle etc
>> > JVM stuff (http://metrics.codahale.com/manual/jvm/)
>> >
>> > wdyt?
>> >
>> I'm totally +1 for monitoring MINA.
>>
>> At some point, JMX would be a good addition, but JMX per se is not funny
>> to play with. I don't know how easy Metrics is, but if it's any better
>> than pure JMX, I think it worth giving it a try !
>>

> Metrics has different ways for reporting, JMX is one of the supported
> methods. Other are HTTP, Ganglia, Graphite and others (
> http://metrics.codahale.com/getting-started/#other-reporting). So this
> would make integration easy with enterprises which already have Monitoring
> systems in place.
>

>> Now, the key is to now preciselly what to monitor. But we can start with
>> a few things, and add monitors as we go on.
>>

> + 1, Lets play with it and get something working to discuss further. I will
> create a JIRA for tracking

+1

Re: Adding Monitoring to MINA 3.0

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.