Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Scott Tavares <st...@cox.net> on 2003/11/23 02:39:59 UTC

The Maven Logo

Hi all,

Right off the bat, this post is NOT intended to start a flame fest or
offend anyone. With that said, I work for the State of Rhode Island
department of corrections. We are at the very early stages of re-writing
our core application. We will be using Maven as our build tool, and in
so doing I'd like to put the "powered by maven" logo link on our
development web site but... As I said, this project is a State of Rhode
Island project and being so, politics are a major issue. Now here is
where the logo comes in; After showing the web site that Maven generates
to a supervisor, it was pointed out to me (and I fully agree with) that
Maven logo looks like it's  right of communist china (no offense to the
Chinese people or their government). This on a U.S. State government
sponsored project just is not going to fly.

What I am asking for is that the Maven community reconsider the default
logo for one of the others found in the xdoc plugin. If I may be so bold
to cast a vote (seeing that I'm not a committer on this project... yet!)
for maven-bulldozer.png which has no political inference.

TIA

-ScottTavares-
stavares@doc.state.ri.us
stavares@cox.net

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
Just change it via properties -

http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/xdoc/faq.html#powered-by

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by Alain Javier Guarnieri del Gesu <ja...@ajgdg.com>.
* n. alex rupp <ru...@umn.edu> [2003-11-23 16:28]:

Very nice work.

--
Alain Javier Guarnieri del Gesu - javi@ajgdg.com

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
+1 [very respectable logo, I think.]

Henri Yandell wrote:

> Was half of a mind to go find an open source site using red, white and
> blue and demand that they change their logo too. However, there's no real
> reason for Maven to have this logo, it gets the same reaction every time,
> [the name: maven-propaganda is interesting] and:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/images/logos/maven-feather.png
>
> seems a perfectly happy replacement with Maven being a TLP.
>
> It even has the right wordage, as Maven sites are built-by Maven and not
> really powered-by. It's also the one that I believe we've chosen to use
> over at Jakarta Commons as the most obvious for an ASF project to be
> using.
>
> Hen
>
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, n. alex rupp wrote:

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by "n. alex rupp" <ru...@umn.edu>.

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by matt <jo...@whitesmiths.com.au>.
Committers,

Please keep the star as the default - it's distinctive, punchy, and
bright, and shows a level of humour that is all-too-often missing from
OSS projects.  I've certainly become a maven propagandist over the past
six months, and would hate to see the bland blanket of corporatisation
kill a little fun.  Above all else, it is a more professional graphic
than any of the other offerings.

In the end, though, I know that I can always change my projects to
continue using it, without much hassle.  So, if some Mammon-worshipper
prefers not to be faced with a yellow star, so be it.  Just be sure to
keep the graphic available for your True Believers ;-)

Matt

Re: [VOTE] The Maven Logo

Posted by Alain Javier Guarnieri del Gesu <ja...@ajgdg.com>.
* Jim Crossley <ji...@crossleys.org> [2003-11-25 16:01]:
> A runoff between the top 2 vote getters listed at
> http://projects.walding.com/powered/
>
> propaganda or feather?
>
> +1 feather

I don't want to respond to anyone in particular (except for the fool
    who envoked the halocaust) because I don't want this to turn into
    a political discussion. If it does turn into a political
    discussion, it will only serve to prove my point. It just seems
    obvious to me that the propaganda logo is going to criple this
    project, and someone needs to say what is not being said.

    The propaganda logo is divisive. It is disingenuous, perhaps
    both hostile and ignorant, to say that there is no cause for
    alarm to adopt the symbolism of the Soviets.

+1 feather

Gathering support for an open source project is difficult enough
    without creating additional barriers.

    Yankee sensiblities are one thing. Yes, we are big and tough,
    and our squemishness can come across as insecurity, but we are
    also a populous nation with many different cultures, religions,
    and belief systems in play. We accomodate other people, knowing
    that they might have come to use from a Cuban or Vietnamese
    boat-lift, or they might have had to leave home because they
    said the wrong thing about Ceausescu, perhaps they lost loved
    ones in Hungary, Siberia, Afganistan or to the Red Army Faction.

    When you brandish policial symbols you have to be prepared to
    address these greivences. Greivences addressed to the US, its
    corporations, and government agencies are never in short supply.
    Why would a US government agency want to invite the rage our
    political refugees and veterans feel for the crimes of our
    former adversaries?

    If this logo were afixed to a teen-ager's skateboard, most
    Americans would get the joke. But to place it on a government or
    corporate web site is daft. I doubt the British Home Office would
    be pleased to have a Stars and Stripes logo on their home page.

    For those of you who now conviently see the Cold War as a
    charade, it is a pity that we are all Alanticists here. There
    are plenty of Asian and Latin American countries still
    recovering from the idological wars. It was in these countries
    that hosted the killing portion of the Cold War. This logo will
    never fly in Taiwan, South Korea, or Hong Kong. You think a
    Taipei municipal web site can display the Maven logo?

    Basically, you've created an identity that is going to clash,
    and clash hard, with the identities of corporations (a Communist
    anathma), and government agencies around the world. You have
    created a logo that, for some, is going to envoke living
    memories of oppression. Now you are surpised that the logo is
    meeting resistance.

    So what's the Maven logo for? Is it about speading the word
    about Maven, building support and community? Or is it about
    challenging sensibilities?

    Feather or propaganda, take your pick.

--
Alain Javier Guarnieri del Gesu - javi@ajgdg.com

Re: [VOTE] The Maven Logo

Posted by Charles-Alexandre Sabourdin <ka...@dedaletechnology.com>.
Le Mercredi 26 Novembre 2003 10:25, Norbert Pabiś a écrit :
> Jim Crossley wrote:
> > A runoff between the top 2 vote getters listed at
> > http://projects.walding.com/powered/
> >
> > propaganda or feather?
+1 propaganda

--
Charles-Alexandre
SABOURDIN

Re: [VOTE] The Maven Logo

Posted by Alain Javier Guarnieri del Gesu <ja...@ajgdg.com>.
* John D Taylor (ROE) <jd...@roe.ac.uk> [2003-11-26 11:57]:

>  Jim Crossley wrote:
>  > A runoff between the top 2 vote getters listed at
>  > http://projects.walding.com/powered/
>  >
>  > propaganda or feather?
>
>  +1 propaganda
>
> Much more striking, and because most non-US citizens probably find the whole
> debate baffling!  (Though maybe Europeans would have had a similar reaction
> to the original poster if the logo had included a swastika)

No, they would have a far more pronounced reaction. In Germany, the
orginial poster would be arrested. In the US we use discussions such
as this to regulate speech, rather than the more draconian methods
found on the continent, so yes, thoughtful discouse does tend to
baffle some our friends across the pond.

--
Alain Javier Guarnieri del Gesu - javi@ajgdg.com

Re: [VOTE] The Maven Logo

Posted by "John D Taylor (ROE)" <jd...@roe.ac.uk>.

Re: [VOTE] The Maven Logo

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
On Mercredi, nove 26, 2003, at 10:25 Europe/Paris, Norbert Pabiś wrote:

> Jim Crossley wrote:
>> A runoff between the top 2 vote getters listed at
>> http://projects.walding.com/powered/
>> propaganda or feather?
>
> +1 propaganda

+1 feather.

(I would have loved the "brewed")

Re: [VOTE] The Maven Logo

Posted by Norbert Pabiś <np...@e-point.pl>.
Jim Crossley wrote:
> A runoff between the top 2 vote getters listed at
> http://projects.walding.com/powered/
>
> propaganda or feather?

+1 propaganda

--
Norbert Pabiś

Re: [VOTE] The Maven Logo

Posted by Tom Copeland <to...@infoether.com>.
On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 10:38, Jim Crossley wrote:
> A runoff between the top 2 vote getters listed at
> http://projects.walding.com/powered/
>
> propaganda or feather?
>
> +1 feather

+1 feather

Tom

[VOTE] The Maven Logo

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
I think he is more referring to a faq about why we chose the supposed
symbol of a communist country as opposed to something more neutral like
our undisputed favourite... red-green!

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

>Do you mean
>
>http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/xdoc/faq.html#powered-by
>
>Should be moved to the top level FAQ?
>
>Why??
>--
>dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
>Blog:      http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/dion/
>

>Martin Skopp <sk...@riege.com> wrote on 25/11/2003 07:37:09 PM:
>

>>On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 21:48, Ben Walding wrote:
>>

>>>http://projects.walding.com/powered/

>tired

>>I take back that statement (the nipples argument convinced me :-))
>>
>>After all, the vote is over and the decision has taken, see Ben's URL.
>>
>>To get rid of these never-ending-logo-discussions, I like to suggest to
>>add ben's link or all the logos plus instructions how to change them to
>>the FAQ.  It's already a FAQ, isn't it?
>>
>>I changed http://wiki.codehaus.org/maven/XdocDocumentation where it's
>>already a bit documented, maybe a commiter moves it to the maven FAQ.
>>--
>>Martin Skopp
>>Riege Software International GmbH
>>Support: mailto:maint@riege.com, Information: http://www.riege.com
>>
>>This email is intended to be viewed with a nonproportional font.
>>Public Key on http://www.keyserver.net, Key-ID: 3D4027B5
>>Fingerprint: 1970 C78D 9A1D 99FA 5CE4  5C0D 29E6 6A95 3D40 27B5

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Do you mean

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by Martin Skopp <sk...@riege.com>.

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by khote <kh...@mminternet.com>.
be careful you don't choose a logo with round things in it, somebody will
find a way to see nipples.

-- sigh.

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by Martin Skopp <sk...@riege.com>.
On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 15:18, Jim Crossley wrote:
> For me, it's not a question of offensiveness, but laziness: I'm tired
> of answering questions about it.

+1, Full ACK.  Start a vote.

BTW dion/ben: What's the URL of Bens web site with logos and votes?

cu
--
Martin Skopp
Riege Software International GmbH
Support: mailto:maint@riege.com, Information: http://www.riege.com

This email is intended to be viewed with a nonproportional font.
Public Key on http://www.keyserver.net, Key-ID: 3D4027B5
Fingerprint: 1970 C78D 9A1D 99FA 5CE4  5C0D 29E6 6A95 3D40 27B5

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Start a thread with a [vote] subject, and get some votes, or better still,
do as Ben did, and set up a web site with logos and votes.

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by Jim Crossley <ji...@crossleys.org>.
+1 to change it

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
+1, change the default
From: "Scott Tavares" <st...@cox.net>

Re: The Maven Logo

Posted by Scott Tavares <st...@cox.net>.
Well my response to this is two fold, 1st thanks for responding so
quickly. I kinda' knew that there must be some config file somewhere to
select one of the other logos in the xdoc plugin but I did not know
where. And again thanks for pointing it out to me as to where all the
other xdoc magic happens. My 2nd response is that the 'default' logo,

Re: The Maven Logo