Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au> on 2005/07/25 03:05:39 UTC

mod_python stops subversion

I don't know where to post this so here goes. Any advice appreciated.

Overview

I just added mod_python to apache2 and my subversion repositories are no
longer accessible via TortoiseSVN. Update returns the following error ...

PROPFIND request failed on '/repos/xfiles/wip95'
PROPFIND of '/repos/xfiles/wip95': Could not read status line:
connection was closed by server. (http://svn.domain.com)

I can remove the offending module and everything works again.

Questions

1. Is it possible for Apache to serve both?

2. If so, where do I start looking for help?

Thanks

Mike

Information (sorry for the verbosity)

Server

SuSE 9.1
Subversion 1.1.3-7.1
Apache 2.0.53-5.1
mod_python 3.1.3-37.6

SuSE claims all package dependencies are OK

Client

Windows XP Pro SP1 and fully updated (except for SP2)
TortoiseSVN 1.1.5, Build 2990, UNICODE
Subversion 1.1.4,
apr 0.9.5
apr-iconv 0.9.5
apr-utils 0.9.5
berkeley db 4.2.52
neon 0.24.7
OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004
zlib 1.2.2

Here is the bit I edit to add or remove mod_python ...

<etc/sysconfig/apache2>
# 05724 -> removed last module in list - php4
# 05724 -> apppended python
APACHE_MODULES="access actions alias auth auth_dbm autoindex cgi dav
dav_svn authz_svn dir env expires include log_config mime negotiation
setenvif ssl suexec userdir python"
</etc/sysconfig/apache2>

When it is added this is written by Apache  ...
<etc/apache2/sysconfig.d/loadmodule.conf>
#
# Files in this directory are created at apache start time by
/usr/sbin/rcapache2.
# Do not edit them!
#
# as listed in APACHE_MODULES (/etc/sysconfig/apache2)
LoadModule access_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_access.so
LoadModule actions_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_actions.so
LoadModule alias_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_alias.so
LoadModule auth_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_auth.so
LoadModule auth_dbm_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_auth_dbm.so
LoadModule autoindex_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_autoindex.so
LoadModule cgi_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_cgi.so
LoadModule dav_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_dav.so
LoadModule dav_svn_module                 /usr/lib/apache2/mod_dav_svn.so
LoadModule authz_svn_module               /usr/lib/apache2/mod_authz_svn.so
LoadModule dir_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_dir.so
LoadModule env_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_env.so
LoadModule expires_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_expires.so
LoadModule include_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_include.so
LoadModule log_config_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule mime_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_mime.so
LoadModule negotiation_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_negotiation.so
LoadModule setenvif_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_setenvif.so
LoadModule ssl_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_ssl.so
LoadModule suexec_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_suexec.so
LoadModule userdir_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_userdir.so
LoadModule python_module                  /usr/lib/apache2/mod_python.so
#
</etc/apache2/sysconfig.d/loadmodule.conf>

Here is the result after restarting Apache ...

<error_log>
[Mon Jul 25 12:11:46 2005] [warn] Init: Session Cache is not configured
[hint: SSLSessionCache]
[Mon Jul 25 12:11:46 2005] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper:
/usr/sbin/suexec2)
[Mon Jul 25 12:11:47 2005] [notice] mod_python: Creating 32 session
mutexes based on 150 max processes and 0 max threads.
[Mon Jul 25 12:11:47 2005] [notice] Apache/2.0.53 (Linux/SUSE)
configured -- resuming normal operations

# and when trying to update a working copy via TortoiseSVN

[Mon Jul 25 12:15:57 2005] [notice] child pid 3110 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)
</error_log>

Re: mod_python stops subversion

Posted by David Anderson <da...@calixo.net>.
Mike Dewhirst wrote:
> 1. Is it possible for Apache to serve both?

I do.

> 2. If so, where do I start looking for help?

Usually, apache processes violently segfaulting is a sign that modules
are linked to different versions of the same library, and blow up when
the runtime linker links them to the wrong one. I'd advise to look at
the dependancies of both mod_dav_svn.so and mod_python.so (use 'ldd' to
list libraries linked) and see if you can spot any version mismatches.
If you can, then you need to resolve this (probably through careful
prodding of package maintainers or source compilation). If this is not
it, then you're probably best taking this to the apache people, unless
you can provide more details about what svn would be doing wrong here.

Good luck with sorting this out,
- Dave.