Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Christopher Dodunski <Ch...@christopher.net.nz> on 2005/12/20 12:27:26 UTC

Tapestry vs. Wicket

Hi,

For someone looking at moving away from MVC based web frameworks and
towards component based web frameworks, what in your opinion makes
Tapestry a better option than Wicket?  What is Tapestry's strengths?

Making an informed choice isn't a trivial exercise, considering the
sheer number of possibilities.

Thanks & regards,

Christopher.

Re: Tapestry vs. Wicket

Posted by Geoff Hopson <ge...@gmail.com>.
Let me throw Click into the mix

http://click.sf.net/

It's Java, and also quite interesting :-)

Re: Tapestry vs. Wicket

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.

Re: Tapestry vs. Wicket

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Hmmm.. I had to actually go back and look at wicket again to be sure, but I
don't think you're right about the html markup. It's actually much worse
than I originally thought ;)

Look at http://wicket.sourceforge.net/ExampleGuestBook.html.

You will notice that you have to do tapestry-ish html markup in your
template, with the caveat that

" In the HTML below, notice the way that the TextArea component is being
nested inside the CommentForm. Wicket is able to keep everything straight
because the Java Component.add() calls have to result in the same nesting
structure as the HTML."

Which means that you have to do with swing-ish layout logic in your code AND
the tapestry-ish layout logic.

All of this just sounds like a very cool, yet immature framework to me. I
think it's more than likely that they might eventually get rid of some of
their swing code in favor of letting the html handle layout, but then you're
basically left with tapestry, only years behind ;)

Maybe I'm wrong?

jesse

Re: Tapestry vs. Wicket

Posted by Francis Amanfo <fa...@gmail.com>.