Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Neeraj Tulsian <nt...@ureach.com> on 2003/08/07 18:38:09 UTC

Dome site is not accessible

I get the following error when accessing http://demo.wyona.org/lenya/

Bad Gateway

Apache/2.0.45 (Unix) DAV/2 PHP/4.3.2-RC1 Server at demo.wyona.org Port 80

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

>the double "tomcat" and "lenya" look somewhat strange in
>file:/home/tomcat/tomcat/webapps/lenya/lenya/content/live/sitetree.xml

yeah, it's strange indeed, but if the page is being published, then it
should be fine. Still, it's strange
that the publication id doesn't show up.

Michael

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Posted by D Christ <de...@yahoo.com>.
Andreas--

The double tomcat I can explain.  I'm building this webapp as the user
tomcat in tomcat's home directory.  So, my home directory is
'/home/tomcat', and my tomcat installation is in the 'tomcat'
directory.  Hopefully that explains the 'double tomcat' that you are
seeing.  I've tested tomcat and cocoon 2.1M3, and they work perfectly

The 'double lenya' is the one that I don't quite understand either.  If

I have 'install.dir=/home/tomcat/tomcat/webapps/lenya' in my
build.properties file.

if I put 'install.dir=/home/tomcat/tomcat/webapps/lenya' in my
build.properties file, then everything inside 'tomcat/webapps/lenya' is
moved up  to the tomcat/webapps directory.

I tried building the .war file, (ant war) and building the app directly
into tomcat (ant install), but I still get the same results as below.

I followed the instructions on the lenya site to install lenya, but I
must be missing something, unless there is a real problem in there. Any
help would be more than welcomed...

--Dale

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
> [...]

org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invo
keNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:108)
> at

org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelineNode.invoke(Pipel
ineNode.java:162)
> at

org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invo
keNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:108)
> at

org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelinesNode.invoke(Pipe
linesNode.java:162)
> at

org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreeProcess
or.java:325)
> at

org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreeProcess

java:171)
> at

eNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
> at

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172
)
> at

eNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
> at

> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
> at

:174)
> at

eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
> at

> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
> at
> org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
> at
> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:594)
> at

ction(Http11Protocol.java:392)
> at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)
> at

a:619)

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Posted by D Christ <de...@yahoo.com>.
Michael--

I'll update my lenya this evening and let you know how it works.

I do have a question.  When it comes time to edit a page, I select
Xopus2, and I get an exception that Xopus 2 cannot be found.  I select
Midas, and I get the contents of an XML file, and when I select Bitflix
(sp?), It pulls up an editor, but nothing to edit, and I can't even add
content.  Which of the editor(s) will work for editing content in
lenya?

Thanks.

--Dale

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Posted by D Christ <de...@yahoo.com>.
Michael--

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Hassan Abolhassani wrote:

>Hi Michael,
>
>Thanks for the response.
>
>I will try to re-install the Lenya using latest version and see what
>happens.
>
>By the way, none of the editors (Xopus, Bitflix) I have tried does not
>work. It might be a problem in my browser setting. I tried both IE6.0

Xopus runs only on IE5.5 and IE6.x. You also need to install MSXML4
Parser, which can be found at
http://www.wyona.org/msxml4/ or can be downloaded from the Microsoft site.

The documents within the OSCOM publication should work, e.g.

http://127.0.0.1:8080/lenya/oscom/authoring/matrix/lenya.html

>and Mozila.

Bitflux runs only on Mozilla. Bitflux has started a new version of it's
editor, which
is based on Mozile (http://bitfluxeditor.mozdev.org/). I will try to
start integrating it today.

>I like to undestand the ways you explained for creating a new publishing.
>I will try the wiki document you mentioned.

The Wiki doesn't have a real tutorial, but you will certainly find more
information.
I think the best sample publication to understand so far is the "blog"
publication, because it
has the most simple info architecture (sitemaps and documents) and just
three usecases (create, edit, publish)

HTH

Michael

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.

This should have been fixed. Please take a look at build.properties.sample

  There are some documentation on Lenya concepts,
> but there is not a detailed installation document.

http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/installation/source_version.html

where do you think we should improve the installation document?

> 2- Samples does not work. After spending some efforts and installing it,
> top page and other pages display exceptions. There is no guide how to
> resolve those problems. I think others have mentioned about such
> exception so I don't repeat here.

yes, that's right. We definitely need to improve this, although I think
it got much better with all the feedback

> 3- Editor does not work. Others also mentioned about this.

What editors? Xopus? Bitflux? What publications?

> 4- After all, it is hard for me to figure out how to create a new
> publishing with Lenya. There is not any step by step documentation
> explaining this. For any user, it is important to know how to use Lenya
> for his publishing projects.

agreed, we need a tutorial on this. There are currently three ways:

1) Use an existing sample publication
2) Create your own publication from scratch
3) use an existing Cocoon "publication" and customize it such that it
works together with Lenya

I think there are some efforts within the
Wikihttp://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Lenya

Thanks

Michael

> Anyway thanks for your efforts. I hope to start Lenya based publishing
> soon.
>
> Regards,
> Hassan

Michael Wechner
Wyona Ltd.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.com>.
Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org> writes:

> btw, the Publisher within the default publication doesn't work
> properly. Well, the index page can be published, but in the case of
> the other pages the language is set at the wrong place.
>
> I hope to fix this as soon as possible

I just fixed this. There were some assumptions that no longer are true
when dealing with multilingual documents.

--
Christian Egli       christian.egli@wyona.com   +41 1 272 9161
                     Wyona AG, Hardstrasse 219, CH-8005 Zurich

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Re: Lenya Demo Problems

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
D Christ wrote:
> Michael--
>
> Thanks for the quick replay.  I'll install the latest
> nightly snapshot this evening, and let you know what
> happens.  My system:
>
> Athlon XP 2800+
> 1GB RAM
> RH 9.0 (current patches)
> J2SDK 1.4.2
> Tomcat 2.1.24
> Cocoon 2.1M3

sounds good

> I'll have to let you know about lenya's configuration
> when I get home, and can boot into RH 9.0.  It'll be
> sometime this weekend when I can let you know what I'm
> seeing.

yes, please do

Thanks

Michael

Lenya Demo Problems

Re: Dome site is not accessible

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
D Christ wrote:
> I'd like to get more out of lenya, but if the demo
> site doen't even work, how can we be expected to
> actually develop anything??  That doesn't work, and
> the demo that I run  under linux doesn't either.

the public demo is one thing and your private version is another.

What problems do you encounter when you try to install Lenya on your OS?

What OS exactly (Debian:woody, SuSE, Windows, ...)?
What JDK (1.4.2) ?
What Tomcat (4.1.24)?
What Cocoon (2.1M1)?
What Lenya (CVS, snapshot)?

  I'm
> very disappointed in Lenya so far.

ok, but that's no reason to give up.I am happy to help. Let's try to fix it

Thanks

Michael

   I may have to wait

Posted by D Christ <de...@yahoo.com>.
I'd like to get more out of lenya, but if the demo
site doen't even work, how can we be expected to
actually develop anything??  That doesn't work, and
the demo that I run  under linux doesn't either.  I'm
very disappointed in Lenya so far.  I may have to wait

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> AFAIK there isn't infrastructure at Apache to provide demo instances.
> Else it would certainly make much more sense to host it at Apache.

there might be on nagoya.apache.org. the main server doesnt allow
dynamic content iirc, but nagoya might.

i guess pier / infrastructure@ would be the person / place to ask

-gregor

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
Wyona Ltd.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya

Re: Dome site is not accessible

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Alex McLintock wrote:
> At 17:38 07/08/03, Neeraj Tulsian wrote:
>
>> I get the following error when accessing http://demo.wyona.org/lenya/
>

> Just out of interest folks - this demo is on the Wyona site. Does that mean
> that it is part of the Wyona company and therefor only maintained by Wyona
> employees?

yes, it's on a Wyona machine, but we can certainly give access to people
who are interested to set it up again and help to maintain it.

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk>.