Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Peter McEvoy <PM...@betdaq.com> on 2004/06/29 18:03:24 UTC

Restarting app can cause logging to stop?

Folks,
We are using log4net extensively in our applications which consist of a lot
of windows services and web services. However we have spotted sometimes
(only somtimes mind)  that when a service is stopped and restarted, logging
to the RollingLogFileAppender will completely stop; messages will not be
written to the logfile any more, although messages _will_ get written to an
EventLogAppender

This is proving hard to reproduce, so I agree that this is little more than
anecdotal, but I am wondering if anyone has seen this type of behaviour?

We are using log4net-1.1

Pete

RE: Restarting app can cause logging to stop?

Posted by Dave Hutz <dh...@extreme-messaging.com>.
Yes, this happens to us pretty regularly.  We found that introducing a delay of a few seconds between the stop and the start during the restart pretty much eliminates the problem.

There is a bug logged for it in SourceForge(#872040).  The root cause of that person's problem (permissions) is a little different than ours (file locking), but the solution is the same.

	Dave