Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/04 20:27:57 UTC

site doc for plugin params of complex type: my favorite bugaboo

Probably the maven 'thing' that frustrates me most frequently is this:

a plugin has a param of class type, and the doc of the param does not
detail the internal structure of the class.

I wonder: could the plugin doc process somehow cooperate with modello, or
something else, to auto-create field-by-field documentation? Can anyone
give me a point to start from in some effort to improve on this?

Re: site doc for plugin params of complex type: my favorite bugaboo

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le dimanche 4 novembre 2012 15:27:20 Benson Margulies a écrit :
> Hervé,
>
> What about the following sketch:
>
> Two goals:
>
> 1: to warn when a plugin param is a class type that either (a) cannot be
> mapped by plexus from XML in the POM,
useful, yes: are there known rules to detect such problems?

> or (b) has no documentation for the
> fields.
>
> 2: to include field-by-field documentation.
>
> Neither of these is ideally met by linking to javadoc. If the bean class in
> question starts life as Modello, I would think that we could somehow get a
> copy of the MDO-derived documentation into the plugin site, and link to
> that. If we cannot, currently, then I'd want to start by looking at an
> improvement to MDO to attach annotations to the generated Java code so
> that, later on, we could walk those.
JavaBeans BeanInfo?

> Now, given annotations (Really, some simple @Description sort of thing for
> classes and fields), authors of non-MDO classes used in plugin params could
> decorate them.
>
> Do you know how far away my first idea (leaving breadcrumbs in Java classes
> generated by MDO) is from reality?
for the moment, there is nothing like that in Modello, but nothing is
impossible. Java code generator from Modello is JavaModelloGenerator [1]

Regards,

Hervé

[1] http://modello.codehaus.org/modello-plugins/modello-plugin-
java/xref/org/codehaus/modello/plugin/java/JavaModelloGenerator.html

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hervé,

What about the following sketch:

Two goals:

1: to warn when a plugin param is a class type that either (a) cannot be
mapped by plexus from XML in the POM, or (b) has no documentation for the

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.