Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Michael Heinen <mi...@recommind.com> on 2009/12/17 09:40:33 UTC

JspPropertyNotWritableException - Illegal Syntax for Set Operation after update to 1.2

Hi,

are conditional Expressions not allowed anymore in value attributes in JSF 1.2?

Stack:
Caused by: org.apache.jasper.el.JspPropertyNotWritableException: /pages/search.jsp(13,2) '#{sessionScope.visit.user.restrictedToSearchInBatches?FlatBatchForReviewerCacheBean:NullBean}' Illegal Syntax for Set Operation
                at org.apache.jasper.el.JspValueExpression.setValue(JspValueExpression.java:88)
                at org.apache.myfaces.custom.savestate.UISaveState.restoreState(UISaveState.java:125)
                at javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.processRestoreState(UIComponentBase.java:849)
                ... 48 more

Tag:
<t:saveState id="flatBatchForReviewerCacheBean" value="#{user.allowedToDoIt?FlatBatchForReviewerCacheBean:NullBean}"/>

It is working if I use either FlatBatchForReviewerCacheBean or NullBean without the condition.

Input tags are also not working with conditions in the value attribute:
Message:
org.apache.jasper.el.JspPropertyNotWritableException: /pages/search.jsp(154,14) '#{searchEntry.type=='dateFrom'?search.attributes[searchEntry.name].begin:search.attributes[searchEntry.name].end}' Illegal Syntax for Set Operation

JSP snippet
<t:dataList id="taxList"
  value="#{MyController.fields}"
  var="searchEntry" ... >

    <t:inputText id="s_date"
      value="#{searchEntry.type=='dateFrom'?search.attributes[searchEntry.name].begin:search.attributes[searchEntry.name].end}">
    </t:inputText>

Both tags worked well with myfaces 1.1.6 and tomahawk 1.1.7 but not with myfaces 1.2.8 and tomahawk12_1.1.9

Is it a bug?
Do I have to change anything or is there a workaround?

Michael

Re: JspPropertyNotWritableException - Illegal Syntax for Set Operation after update to 1.2

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.
You're welcome!

I agree. The problem is that most of the things are continuously growing and
evolving and you have to define something and see how it applies over time.
Then you can try to make it better and better. However, it is not always
possible to include every little technique in the new releases. Also the
expert group can not think of everything! In the case of JSF it is very
difficult, because there are a lot of frameworks and libraries, which are
built upon it.

But that's the good thing about open source. If you think that something is
badly defined or implemented, you can make new suggestions or even provide a
better solution. Everyone can do that.

I hope you still like JSF when you're done porting you're application to 1.2
;-)

Regards,
Jakob

2009/12/17 Michael Heinen <mi...@recommind.com>

> Incredible! Thanks Jakob for this sample code, this helped a lot and it
> works of course ☺
>
> Things like this make the JSF development too complicated from my point of
> view.
> Developers have to spent too much time with the framework or to find
> workarounds for such shortcomings.
> Regardless of whether this is a lack in the spec or in the impl.
> I spent currently more time with the frameworks (myfaces, tomahawk,
> richfaces, tiles, etc etc) than with the application.
> Of course it's a major jump and with a large application but these
> compability issues are really bitter…
>
> I'm curious about the next one ...
>
> Michael

facesContext.getApplication().getExpressionFactory().createValueExpression(facesContext.getELContext(), "#{beanName}", Object.class).setValue(facesContext.getELContext(), o);

[...]

facesContext.getApplication().getExpressionFactory().createValueExpression(facesContext.getELContext(), "#{searchEntry.type=='dateForm'}", Boolean.class).getValue(facesContext.getELContext());

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,