Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Peter Becker <pb...@meganesia.int.gu.edu.au> on 2001/10/20 05:12:27 UTC

Different Image Transcoders

Hello,

Roland Schulz and I had a discussion on the XWeb-developer list about
using different transcoders for bitmap images. Currently I use Batik for
SVGs and Jimi for BufferedImages in XWeb, which seems kind of redundant
since I use Jimi only to export PNGs and JPGs.

By now it seems Sun finally did decide on which library they want to use
for writing images and even put this into JDK 1.4 (javax.imageio) --
I'll change XWeb to use either this or to use Batiks encoders.

The reason for this mail is that I wonder if Batik will use/support
javax.imageio in the near future. If this should be planned I won't
start trying to use Batiks PNG and JPG classes since Suns library is
probably more flexible (didn't check it out yet, but I'd think so).

Thanks,
  Peter

Re: Different Image Transcoders

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
Peter,

The Batik PNG and TIFF encoders were contributed to Batik by Sun as
a temporary solution before JDK 1.4's imge IO. I think that once JDK
1.4 becomes the main platform (as 1.3 is today), we will probably
deprecate these Batik classes as the Image IO library is definitely
a better, more comprehensive solution.

Note that for Batik users using transcoders (and not image encoders
directly), this is not an issue as there is no direct dependancy
on specific image encoders.

Vincent.