Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Grinvald, Edward" <ED...@ca.com> on 2002/06/12 18:15:58 UTC

Property Precedence

Hello,
	could somebody please explain to me what is the precedence of
properties in a project:
+ set in build.xml
+ specified with -D at prompt
+ from the properties file
+ is there a difference between setting a property in the xml, or calling
.setProperty() from a <script>.

Thank You,

Edward Grinvald
Computer Associates International
Programmer, Storage Development
Edward.Grinvald@ca.com
1-631-342-6000 x76350

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Edward Grinvald <ED...@ca.com> wrote:

> Hello, could somebody please explain to me what is the precedence of
> properties in a project:

> + set in build.xml
> + specified with -D at prompt

-D wins over <property>.

The first <property> wins over a second one setting a property of the
same name.

> + from the properties file

Not sure what you mean here.  <property file="..." />?  This has the
same precedence as <property name="..." /> repeated for all properties
in that file.

> + is there a difference between setting a property in the xml, or
> calling .setProperty() from a <script>.

Yes.  <property> will not overwrite existing properties.  setProperty
will.  Use setNewProperty to get the same behavior in scripts anf
<property>.

Stefan