Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Ku...@gmx.de on 2006/11/01 20:34:49 UTC

MyFaces, Struts 1.1 and Struts-Faces

Hello,

we use Struts 1.1 in a project and we want to integrate JSF with the struts-faces-library. We cannot migrate to an other Struts release like 1.2 or 1.3. We also want to use the MyFaces-JSF-Implementation.

I tried out the 0.5 Version of the struts-faces-Library. It works well with the Sun-RI. But with MyFaces i got the following Exception:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener

Is there any way to get struts-faces working with Struts 1.1 and MyFaces? And which struts-faces release i have to use?

Thanks!

Regards,

Christian

Re: MyFaces, Struts 1.1 and Struts-Faces

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
one more thing ... :)

I just saw that you are German,
or at least you have a DE gmx address ;)

I am doing a talk on Struts and Faces Migration next week in Germany ([1]).
I can send you the slides after the conference, if you like.

-Matthias

[1] http://tinyurl.com/w82mg

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
ups...

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
regarding the com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener
that is a class of the RI.
remove all RI classes and the tld files.
That should help

regarding the Struts-Faces lib.

You can replace your struts-view parts (like <html:form>)
with <s:form/>. But in the long term, you should not change the
struts-view to a faces-view and stay with the struts-based logic.

Do the following:
replace related parts of your app step by step, with a new faces-version.
makes much more sense.

For instance you have a search form and a result page.
overhaul the form, result page AND the backing search logic.
the faces backing beans are much simpler and more easy to maintain
than the struts actions.

Ok, now you have the faces-search stuff, how to link from a struts
action (ActionForward) to that ?

      <forward name="succes" path="/demoWjax.faces" />

For the templating with JSF, don't use Tiles. Use Facelets, that's
pretty much more JSF releated.

Regarding the "step by step" migration.
Add all new features as a faces version
maintain old stuff on the struts side.
and if there is a need/time, you can migrate small part of the app to faces.

Makes much more sense than using Faces-View and Struts-Actions/ActionForm.
And all related parts stay in the same view technology.
(struts AND faces)