Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Stephanie Piet <sp...@optimetrics.org> on 2003/01/07 22:01:11 UTC

Embedding Xindice: Part 2

Hey everyone:

On the subject of embedding Xindice...has anyone found the solution to that previous post?

Another thing is that I'm working with XMLdbGUI and trying to use Xindice on this, but I'd rather have it so that it's not poping up any background DOS windows throwing errors out. I'd just like a way to embed Xindice into the XMLdbGUI program, if possible. At work we are trying to find and develop on Java based XML database interface to do basic operations like update, select...etc.  I wonder if using just eXist XML database might work instead. I just might try that in the meantime.

Re: Embedding Xindice: Part 2

Posted by Emiliano <em...@iris-advies.nl>.
On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 04:01:11PM -0500, Stephanie Piet wrote:

> Another thing is that I'm working with XMLdbGUI and trying to use
> Xindice on this, but I'd rather have it so that it's not poping up any
> background DOS windows throwing errors out. I'd just like a way to embed
> Xindice into the XMLdbGUI program, if possible. At work we are trying
> to find and develop on Java based XML database interface to do basic
> operations like update, select...etc.  I wonder if using just eXist XML
> database might work instead. I just might try that in the meantime.

Up front: I'm probably as new to this as you are. If not, I'm newer :)

>From what I've gathered, from the released versions, only eXist will be
readily embeddable. Xindice from CVS should be embeddable, but the
latest mail archive message I could find on the topic labelled it
unstable.

OTOH, eXist does not do updates of document content. If you want to
update a node you have to fetch the entire document, change it locally,
then replace the existing document in the database. This opens up
opportunities for race conditions (I don't think eXist does
document-level locking).

Emile

Re: Embedding Xindice: Part 2

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.
I don't know of any program that will interface with "any" kind of XML
database, sorry.

Mark

--
Mark J Stang
System Architect

Re: Embedding Xindice: Part 2

Re: Embedding Xindice: Part 2

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.

Re: Embedding Xindice: Part 2

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.

Re: Embedding Xindice: Part 2

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.
I use Xindice to do CRUD(CreateReadUpdateDelete) as it is out of the box
and embedded.   Now if
only Vlad could define where the db directory is at, I can find/specify
my file locations.    If you have a
java program, then yes you can embed Xindice and do CRUD.   I don't know
about errors, it is a java
program so it might throw exceptions.   They can be caught.

HTH,

Mark