Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2005/06/05 03:46:57 UTC

Memory leaks

The other day I started to see OutOfMemory errors, so after a few
hours of poking around with YourKit, I found the two big leaks.

The first one I found was caused by the GBean reference object
registering a listener with the lifecycle monitor and never
unregistering it.  Since the reference holds on the the GBeanInstance
we never could collect a GBeanInstance that had a reference (most
do).  This doesn't mean we were leaking instance of the actual
service objects, but the GBeanInstance object does hold on to a lot
of data.

The second leak we have is a leak of class loaders due to the
following two causes:

1) Commons logging 1.0.4
The LogFactory retains a hard reference to the class loader.  I
believe this has been addressed in the next version which is version
just in alpha now.

2) Context class loader of a pooled thread
We need to clear the context class loader before putting threads back
in a pool.  The context class loader should always be cleared after
being set in a try/finally block, but in some cases they are not.
BTW, this is not always a pool, the sun orb keeps a hard reference to
a thread it uses for reading from a socket.

I don't fix the class loader leak right now (due to commons logging),
but we should at least start to clear the context when reinsert a
into a pool.

-dain

Re: Memory leaks

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
I fixed most of the class loader memory leaks.  There is still slow
leak in cglib which I think will be fixed quickly.

For anyone interested in the problem of garbage collecting class
loaders, I suggest a wonderful series of articles written by Attila
Szegedi (http://www.szegedi.org/).  The most helpful for me was the
third part (http://www.szegedi.org/articles/memleak3.html) which
covers memory leaks in java.io.ObjectStreamClass.  This VM bug was
causing OutOfMemoryErrors for us when deploying lots of applications.

-dain

Re: Memory leaks

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.