Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2014/02/27 15:23:31 UTC

Jena and Google Summer of Code

We're offering GSoC projects against this year and if you might be
interested, send email to the dev@ list and introduce yourself.

There are some suggestions in JIRA [1] and we can also consider projects
ideas you come up with, just open a new JIRA item.

Don't wait until the formal opening of applications because it the
application window is quite short.

March 10 - student application period starts
March 21 - student application period ends
April 21 - acceptances

	Andy

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JENA-491?jql=project%20%3D%20JENA%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20gsoc2014%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

Re: Jena and Google Summer of Code

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 27/02/14 14:23, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> We're offering GSoC projects against this year and if you might be
> interested, send email to the dev@ list and introduce yourself.
>
> There are some suggestions in JIRA [1] and we can also consider projects
> ideas you come up with, just open a new JIRA item.
>
> Don't wait until the formal opening of applications because it the
> application window is quite short.
>
> March 10 - student application period starts
> March 21 - student application period ends
> April 21 - acceptances
>
>      Andy
>
> [1]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JENA-491?jql=project%20%3D%20JENA%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20gsoc2014%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

That should be

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20JENA%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20gsoc2014%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

Re: Jena and Google Summer of Code

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 28/02/14 10:35, Miguel Bento Alves wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm working with jena framework, integrated with pellet, in the last
> months. In my opinion Jena would be more expressive if we could define
> SPARQL commands in rules and/or define rules based on Sparql commands.
 >
> Something look alike is spin-rules, a SPARQL-based rule. I did a few tests
> with TopBraid, a spin framework, and so far the only thing that I can't do
> with Jena that I can do with TopBraid is aggregated queries. Right now,
> when I have a (possible) rule based on Sparql command I load to my
> knowledge base with "Construct" clause. However, as I said before, would
> be more expressive if I could do with dynamic data.
>
> I think that would be an interest projet for GSoC 2014. I'm not able to be
> a mentor but if someone consider interested and open a in a new JIRA item,
> perhaps I will be a candidate to implement.

Hi Miguel,

Could you open the JIRA please?  It doesn't have to be project
committer/PMC member who does that - anyone can add JIRA and there is no
reason why you can't propose a project and apply for it.

Were you thinking of a rules language based on SPARQL? that's sounds
interesting - how would it look like in terms of milestones over the 3
months or so of a GSoC project? [1]

(It does not have to be a Jena rules integration [2])

You need to find a mentor - that's what this list is for.  (The general
limiting factor in GSoC projects is number of mentors.)

And what about yourself - which university are you from? what studies
have you done?

	Andy

[1] https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2014

[2]