Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Alex <my...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/16 19:38:10 UTC

Call-to-action: no sa-updates?

Hi,

I've noticed there hasn't been any rule updates in at least three
weeks. Any idea what's going on? Is it lacking masschecks samples?

This is a significant part of what makes spamassassin so great. Is
there no one else that has a regular spam/ham stream that can
contribute?

Re: Call-to-action: no sa-updates?

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sat, 16 Jan 2016, Alex wrote:

> As John said, masschecks is being starved. How far off is it from
> being sufficiently populated?

You can always visit the masscheck home page and hover over the stats to
see the latest submitted corpus size. Last run was 102k spam, 203k ham.
The minimum to publish scores is 150k of each.

Note: results are submitted over time as contributors complete their
masscheck processing, so if you look at the latest masscheck run you may
not be seeing the final numbers.

    http://ruleqa.spamassassin.org/

> How many contributors do we have on a regular basis?

A little over a dozen?

   Men by their constitutions are naturally divided in to two parties:
   1. Those who fear and distrust the people and wish to draw all
   powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who
   identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them,
   cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not
   the most wise, depository of the public interests.
                                                   -- Thomas Jefferson
  Tomorrow: Benjamin Franklin's 310th Birthday

Re: Call-to-action: no sa-updates?

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

>> I've noticed there hasn't been any rule updates in at least three
>> weeks. Any idea what's going on? Is it lacking masschecks samples?
>
> i noticed that long ago - look in the list archives also for the responses

Yes, I recall, but still nothing is being done to make a major
component of spamassassin work properly.

>> This is a significant part of what makes spamassassin so great
>
> SA don't stop to work just because a few scores are not changed, sometimes
> the opposite may be true when masschecks score something lower based on a
> current situation

I never said it stops working, only that the dynamic update nature
makes it special, and we need every benefit we can. It's a shame the
sought rules are no longer being maintained too.

As John said, masschecks is being starved. How far off is it from
being sufficiently populated? How many contributors do we have on a
regular basis?

Re: Call-to-action: no sa-updates?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 16.01.2016 um 19:38 schrieb Alex:
> I've noticed there hasn't been any rule updates in at least three
> weeks. Any idea what's going on? Is it lacking masschecks samples?

i noticed that long ago - look in the list archives also for the responses

> This is a significant part of what makes spamassassin so great

SA don't stop to work just because a few scores are not changed,
sometimes the opposite may be true when masschecks score something lower
based on a current situation

hence:
[root@mail-gw:~]$ cat templates/local.cf | grep "score " | wc -l
402

Re: Call-to-action: no sa-updates?

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sat, 16 Jan 2016, Alex wrote:

> I've noticed there hasn't been any rule updates in at least three
> weeks. Any idea what's going on? Is it lacking masschecks samples?

The masscheck spam corpus has been starved. Possibly due to the holidays,
though I can't say for sure.

> This is a significant part of what makes spamassassin so great. Is
> there no one else that has a regular spam/ham stream that can
> contribute?

More masscheck contributors, especially outside the US, are always
welcome.

   Gun Control laws cannot reduce violent crime, because gun control
   laws focus obsessively on a tool a criminal might use to commit a
   crime rather than the criminal himself and his act of violence.

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
Alex skrev den 2016-01-16 19:38:

> I've noticed there hasn't been any rule updates in at least three
> weeks. Any idea what's going on? Is it lacking masschecks samples?

more masscheckers wont hurt anyone

> This is a significant part of what makes spamassassin so great. Is
> there no one else that has a regular spam/ham stream that can
> contribute?

but saying lacking masschekers makes spamassassin not usefull is not
correct, only wish i have is to see dmarc plugin in spamassassin, and
btw rspamd.com have spamassassin support (limited rules) and working
dkim/dmarc testing so atleast there is progress

pyzor/razor/dcc/nixhash is in rspamd fuzzy engine to share on every host
in a cloud, with rmilter its even possible to use spamd protocol, i love
it :=)

have last 14 days now helping solve rspamd/rmilter problems on gentoo
and just today i got the rspamd live rebuild for gentoo created

oh well borring weekends :=)