Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Dan Hansen <dh...@thegateway.net> on 2001/06/13 00:03:59 UTC

Strange problem with Tomact, Apache and mod_webapp

All,

I have a Tomcat / Apache / mod_webapp that "mostly" works.

I'm running the following:

Suse Linux 2.4 kernel
IBM JDK 1.3
Jakarta-Tomcat 4b5
Apache 1.13.19 (as default installed by Suse Yast2)

http://localhost:8080 returns the tomcat homepage
http://localhost returns the apache homepage

All JSPs work correctly when going directly to tomcat:
http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/index.html

I can even view the tomcat home page via:
http://localhost/examples/jsp/index.html

The apache logs and the tomcat logs both show the request correctly going
through apache to tomcat and then returning the tomcat homepage.

I currently have some strange behavior: most of the jsps return only a blank
screen:
http://localhost/examples/jsp/dates/dates.jsp works correctly
http://localhost/examples/jsp/num/numguess.jsp returns a blank html screen.

(With Internet Explorer5 on Windows2000 this appears as a valid html
response with nothing between the <body> tags, with Konqueror on KDE2 / Suse
Linux 2.4 nothing appears in the browser and viewing the source shows a
completely empty response).

The apache and tomcat logs look ok for the above two requests except that
the apache access_log indicates that the numguess.jsp response was only 5
bytes:

localhost: 127.0.0.1 - - [11/Jun/2001:06:09:07 -0500] "GET
/examples/jsp/num/numguess.jsp HTTP/1.1"  200  5

the date.jsp response is the correct size:

localhost: 127.0.0.1 - - [11/Jun/2001:06:09:07 -0500] "GET
/examples/jsp/dates/date.jsp HTTP/1.1"  200  463

I did have some problems with compiling mod_web. These "seem" to be
resolved, when starting apache after tomcat, the mod_webapp appears to parse
my http.conf correctly and connect to tomcat warp correctly.

Any direction on how to track this down would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks in advance,
Dan Hansen
Austin, Texas  USA
dhansen@thegateway.net