Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Arthur Dent <mi...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2008/12/15 09:55:16 UTC

[OT] GPG Signatures

Hello all,

I have had quite a lot of trouble getting my posts through to mailing
lists (this one and others) lately. More often than not they simply
never appear which makes me wonder if there is something wrong with my
mail set-up (I would be grateful if someone could look at this one a let
me know if I am triggering any rules...)

Then today I received a bounceback message from a member of this list to
a message I posted (successfully) 9 days ago. The gist of the bounceback
is that my GPG signature was considered "unsafe". Now, I routinely sign
my messages (not this one!) because I think it is good practice, but
could this be at least part of the reason why my mail doesn't get
through?

I attach the relevant parts of the bounceback message below. Note, it
appears that it is something called "Firebox" that is doing the
rejecting for this particular member and is therefore OT here, but I am
baffled...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

AD

Start of bounceback:
==== 8< ==============================================================

  memberofthislist@hisaddress.net
    Unrouteable address

[Snip...]

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw

The WatchGuard Firebox that protects your network has detected a message
=
that may not be safe.

Cause : The message content may not be safe.
Content type : application/pgp-signature
File name    : (none)
Virus status : No information.
Action       : The Firebox deleted (none).
Recovery     : cannot restore

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw--

==== 8< ==============================================================
End of bounceback:

Re: [OT] GPG Signatures

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Arthur Dent wrote on Mon, 15 Dec 2008 08:55:16 +0000:

> Then today I received a bounceback message from a member of this list to
> a message I posted (successfully) 9 days ago.

If you posted to this list and that member bounced to you then it is
*their* software that is not correctly set up.
I see many people signing on this and other list, there appears not be a
problem.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: [OT] GPG Signatures

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
Arthur Dent a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> I have had quite a lot of trouble getting my posts through to mailing
> lists (this one and others) lately. More often than not they simply
> never appear which makes me wonder if there is something wrong with my
> mail set-up (I would be grateful if someone could look at this one a let
> me know if I am triggering any rules...)

nothing bad (dkim verified and spf pass).

> Then today I received a bounceback message from a member of this list to
> a message I posted (successfully) 9 days ago.

systems that send bounce to addresses found in headers are broken by
design. if they should bounce, then they should use the envelope-sender.
I just (temporarily?) blacklisted 219.88.242.59, as I received 19
bounces between 7:25 and 7:40 this morning.

> The gist of the bounceback
> is that my GPG signature was considered "unsafe". Now, I routinely sign
> my messages (not this one!) because I think it is good practice, but
> could this be at least part of the reason why my mail doesn't get
> through?

yet another hopelessly silly filter! GPG is of course a good practice.

> I attach the relevant parts of the bounceback message below. Note, it
> appears that it is something called "Firebox" that is doing the
> rejecting for this particular member and is therefore OT here, but I am
> baffled...
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

there's nothing to do.

Re: [OT] GPG Signatures

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 00:55 15-12-2008, Arthur Dent wrote:
>I have had quite a lot of trouble getting my posts through to mailing
>lists (this one and others) lately. More often than not they simply
>never appear which makes me wonder if there is something wrong with my
>mail set-up (I would be grateful if someone could look at this one a let
>me know if I am triggering any rules...)

What does the reject message say?

>Then today I received a bounceback message from a member of this list to
>a message I posted (successfully) 9 days ago. The gist of the bounceback
>is that my GPG signature was considered "unsafe". Now, I routinely sign
>my messages (not this one!) because I think it is good practice, but
>could this be at least part of the reason why my mail doesn't get
>through?

No.  There is a subscriber rewriting the recipient address to an
invalid one.  The bounces are incorrectly sent to the author of the
message instead of the sender.

Regards,
-sm