Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Kasun Gajasinghe <ka...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/07 22:55:11 UTC

[XERCESJ-1362] [GSoC] Implement "Schema 1.1 PSVI Changes" feature as a GSoC project

Hi devs,
I'm a final year undergraduate from University of Moratuwa, and am
interested in applying to Google Summer of Code 2011 with a
Xerces2-J project. I have some experience in using Xerces, though I'm new to
the Xerces development. I'm very interested to contribute to Xerces as a
developer.

I've talked with Michael for a possible GSoC idea, and he suggested on
implementing features still lack in the XML Schema 1.1 Xerces
implementation. He pointed towards XERCESJ-1362, "Implementing the changes
to post-schema-validation-infoset in XML Schema 1.1" feature [1] filed at
JIRA, assuring it hasn't yet implemented. I'm interested in doing this
project because it'll probably achieve my purpose of getting familiarized
with the code-base better. But, I see that currently, it's reporter Arthur
(De Magalhaes) has assigned it to himself.

So, first of all, Arthur, I'd like to know whether you are OK with me
picking this. Hoping that Arthur wouldn't mind if I pick this, I'd like to
focus on this idea further. Currently, I'm reading XML Schema 1.1
recommendation, and the PSVI changes in Schema 1.1 [1] to get a clear idea
about what is needed to be implemented. For that, I have to understand the
current recommendation in XML Schema along with implementation of PSVI in
Xerces. So, I'd appreciate if someone can answer these questions.

1. Any recommended links/suggestions to get to know about the existing PSVI
implementation in Xerces, as well as for the XML Schema  (if any, apart from
[1])
2. Where does the PSVI implementation reside in the code so that I can begin
poking around? It'll help me to get familiar with the code-base as well.
3. Does the scope of this idea is sufficient/not much/go beyond that of the
GSoC in your opinion? (in terms of time constraint, difficulty level etc. )

Any answers regarding any of these questions are very much appreciated.
Giving some information about myself and some background; I've started
studying about Xerces development. These days I'm reading the Xerces Native
Interface, along with few other references. Further, I got the Xerces
samples working and now I'm debugging them to gain an understanding about
the internals. I have already participated in GSoC 2010 under DocBook Open
Repository, where I developed the WebHelp XSL Customization for DocBook
documents [2]. I have contributed to Apache Axiom's DOM module a little as
well.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-1/#ch_psvi
[2] http://blog.kasunbg.org/search/label/gsoc

Thanks,
--Kasun

~~~*******'''''''''''''*******~~~
Kasun Gajasinghe,
University of Moratuwa,
Sri Lanka.
Blog: http://kasunbg.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/kasunbg

Re: [XERCESJ-1362] [GSoC] Implement "Schema 1.1 PSVI Changes" feature as a GSoC project

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Kasun,

Sandy can best answer your other questions but thought I'd comment on the
PSVI interfaces.

ElementPSVI and AttributePSVI represent the collection of PSVI which can be
accessed from elements and attributes in the XML instance document. PSVI
which is common to both elements and attributes is defined on the base
interface (ItemPSVI). These three interfaces were meant to cover all the
PSVI that is reported by Xerces.

Thanks.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-1/#PSVI_contributions

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2004/06/xmlschema-1/structures.diff-1.0.html
> [2] http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/javadocs/xs/index.html
>
> [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-1/structures.diff-1.0.html
>
> Thanks,
> Kasun
>

> Thanks,
> Sandy Gao
> XML Technologies, IBM Canada
> Editor, W3C XML Schema WG
> (1-905) 413-3255 T/L 313-3255
> sandygao@ca.ibm.com
>
> [image removed] Kasun Gajasinghe ---10/02/2011 02:58:18 PM---Hi,
> Arthur, thanks for letting me pick it. Further, I'd very much appreciate
if

<mrglavas@ca.ibm.com

Posted by Kasun Gajasinghe <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sandy, Michael, and devs,

--
~~~*******'''''''''''''*******~~~

Posted by Kasun Gajasinghe <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sandy,
Thank you very much for your descriptive response. It's very useful. I'll
come up with an analysis with further findings/questions of mine, hope you
all will help me to fill the gaps on it such that I can get up-to speed.

Regards,
--Kasun

PS: We are having exams at university until coming Tuesday, 22nd. So I
wasn't able to focus much on this these days. I'll fully concentrate on this
during vacation (after 22nd).

Posted by Sandy Gao <sa...@ca.ibm.com>.
Kasun,

[...]

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Kasun Gajasinghe <ka...@gmail.com>                                                                                                              |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |j-dev@xerces.apache.org, Michael Glavassevich/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA                                                                                   |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |Arthur De Magalhaes/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Sandy Gao/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA                                                                                |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |10/02/2011 02:58 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

Posted by Kasun Gajasinghe <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Kasun,

Posted by Arthur De Magalhaes <ar...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Kasun,

That's ok by me. =)

Thx,

Arthur De Magalhaes
Software Engineer - XML Parser & XCI Development
IBM Canada - Toronto Lab
Phone: 905-413-2993 T/L 313-2993
E-mail: arthurdm@ca.ibm.com

From: