Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Javier Borkenztain <ja...@fiter.io> on 2022/10/13 15:59:16 UTC

Mission statement of Fineract

Hello Fineracters!

I believe we need to revamp our mission statement to be at the level of the opportunities we have as a community. I think that focusing Apache Fineract only for the unbanked and underbanked has a narrow vision and doesn't capture the full potential of the opportunity.

Apache Fineract has the opportunity to challenge the industry of core banking platforms, and not only for the unbanked, but for the entire market, and our mission has to relate with this opportunity.

I propose to change the Fineract's Mission statement from this:

The mission of Apache Fineract is the creation and maintenance of software
related to a core banking platform that provides a reliable, robust, and
affordable solution for entrepreneurs, financial institutions, and service
providers to offer financial services to the world's underbanked and unbanked.

To this one:

The mission of Apache Fineract is the creation and maintenance of a core banking system for robust, scalable, and cloud-based management of financial institutions' products (loans, accounts, and transactions).

Javier

Logo ( https://www.fiter.io )

*Javier Borkenztain* *| CEO* *e:* javier@fiter.io
*w:* fiter.io ( http://www.fiter.io )
*m:* +598 97980801 twitter icon ( https://twitter.com/Fiter_io ) youtube icon ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfWztdFtHI3PwaSLAEcwTNQ ) linkedin icon ( https://www.linkedin.com/company/fiter-io )

Sent via Superhuman ( https://sprh.mn/?vip=javier@fiter.io )

Re: Mission statement of Fineract

Posted by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Good discussion. +1

Some Rewording
"At Apache Fineract, our mission is to build is to build, maintain and
enhance a cloud-ready core banking system for robust, scalable, and secure
operations of financial institutions' products (loans, accounts, and
transactions). "

We can go with above for now... and keep thinking and discussing....

But, for the sake of argument. (Devils' Argument), are we committed to
building the entire core banking system?  Does that remain our ambition?
Perhaps what we are really doing is building partial to full functionality
for a backend component of simple retail banking, microfinance operations,
credit union functionality, or perhaps just embedded lending operations?
We can also say we are developing the Account Management System (AMS) as a
system of record in financial services.
I recognize these have different definitions and create some tension with
the existing code base, which already includes some basic Customer views,
KYC and onboarding workflows, and ways to connect to reporting (data
analytics), among other things.

Full Banking Solution includes and implies a Front End UI and some channel
features, also implies full Treasury support, loan decision engine, etc.
Retail banking - excludes commercial lending operations
Microfinance - too narrow for our fineract focus, we expect Mifos to
continue that focus.
Embedded lending - we would not need any of the customer centric focus or
much of it
Account management system - we would probably not need much of the product
definitions (which is a strength of the system)

A number of very wise people have told me that a key way to define your
Roadmap is to have the ANTI-Roadmap for the project.
So, what are we NOT going to develop???

Posted by Robert Jakech <ro...@fiter.io>.
I second:
"At Apache Fineract, our mission is to build, maintain and enhance a
cloud-ready core banking system for robust, scalable, and secure operations
of financial institutions" .

Just as a thought around Unbanked or Underbanked:
It's an appealing tagline. The problem is having a great CBS based on Open
source like Fineract doesn't really improve the lives of unbanked or
underbanked. So our target is the institutions that should onboard fineract
rather than the actual clients of those institutions or prospective clients
(underbanked / unbanked). These two terms can be misconstrued because
someone who has a sort of bank account like with WISE formerly transferwise
or MTN mobile money considers themselves as banked.
As a customer of an institution providing financial services (loans,
savings etc) I wouldn't care what underlying technology (CBS) they use.
What I care about is do they provide the service I need?

[image: Logo] <https://www.fiter.io>
*Robert Jakech* *| CTO*
*e:* robert@fiter.io
*w:* fiter.io <http://www.fiter.io>
*m:* +61458166091
[image: twitter icon] <https://twitter.com/Fiter_io> [image: youtube icon]
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfWztdFtHI3PwaSLAEcwTNQ> [image: linkedin

Posted by Javier Borkenztain <ja...@fiter.io>.
+1

"At Apache Fineract, our mission is to build, maintain and enhance a cloud-ready core banking system for robust, scalable, and secure operations of financial institutions"

Posted by Bruce <br...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Javier Borkenztain <ja...@fiter.io>.

Posted by Javier Borkenztain <ja...@fiter.io>.

Posted by Bruce <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dick Dickson <d...@gwocu.com>.

Posted by Airsay Longcon <ai...@gmail.com>.
Just a slight rewording

At Apache Fineract, our mission is to build is to build, maintain and enhance a core banking system for robust, scalable, and cloud-based management of financial institutions' products (loans, accounts, and transactions).