Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mike Brodbelt <m....@acu.ac.uk> on 2004/10/11 11:16:36 UTC

Network tests not working after upgrade to SA 3

Hi,

I've been happily running SpamAssassin on a sitewide basis for some
time. I use a sendmail milter to call out to spamd, and simply add
headers to all mail that passes through the system, which users can then
filter on (or not) as they choose. I've recently upgraded from SA 2.63
to SA 3.0, and since that upgrade, none of the network tests appear to
be working. I don't get any error messages, but I don't get any hits
from those tests either, and SA 3 has now been running for long enough
that I should definitely have seen some.

A little background:-

1/ Version info

# spamassassin --version
 SpamAssassin version 3.0.0
  running on Perl version 5.6.1

This is a debian package, sourced from http://www.backports.org

2/ Running "spamassassin --lint" gives no output, so I believe my config
is OK.

3/ Rules are assigned the fourth score in the list, indicating to me
that SA believes network checks and the Bayesian engine are both
enabled. Bayes is definitely working, but network tests, while
configured, seem not to be activating at all.

4/ I have seen no hits at all from the SPF or URIDNSBL plugin, so I
don't think those are working either.

5/ The command line to start spamd is:-

/usr/sbin/spamd -x -u spamd -m 10 -d --pidfile=/var/run/sa/spamd.pid

It's not running in local-only mode...

6/ Config file section for enabling network tests. This is to use the
Janet MAPS RBL, as well as enabling thew built in checks. Used to work
fine with SA 2.63.

header RCVD_IN_MAPS_RBL        eval:check_rbl('rblplus',
'rbl-plus.mail-abuse.ja.net.', '1')
header RCVD_IN_MAPS_DUL        eval:check_rbl('rblplus-notfirsthop',
'rbl-plus.mail-abuse.ja.net.', '2')
header RCVD_IN_MAPS_RSS        eval:check_rbl_sub('rblplus', '4')
header RCVD_IN_MAPS_OPS        eval:check_rbl_sub('rblplus', '8')
describe RCVD_IN_MAPS_OPS      Relay in OPS, http://www.mail-abuse.org/ops/
tflags RCVD_IN_MAPS_OPS        net
score RCVD_IN_MAPS_RBL 2.000
score RCVD_IN_MAPS_DUL 1.000
score RCVD_IN_MAPS_RSS 2.000
score RCVD_IN_MAPS_NML 2.000

Any help on this would be very much appreciated. There must be something
in the config or environment that's causing it to not bother with
anything that requires the network, but I confess I can't see a likely
candidate at the moment. Without network tests, SA 3 is performing no
better than the previous version, which is frustrating as it's obvious
it would do substantially better if the network tests were running.

Mike.