Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jean-Claude <je...@ipi.ch> on 2009/04/03 17:49:08 UTC

maven-ear-plugin: jarModule or ejbModule

Hi,

I want to build an EAR file with modules. All EJB modules have been defined
as jar (<packaging>jar</packaging).
What is the best way:

1).
Include those EJB modules in the EAR file using <jarModule>

or

2).
Change the packaging of all EJB modules to ejb (<packaging>ejb</packaging>)
and then include those EJB modules in the EAR file using <ejbModule>

What are the advantages or disadvantages of each solution?

Thank you for your Help!

Re: maven-ear-plugin: jarModule or ejbModule

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
You need to provide good metadata for your projects. Maven defaulting
principles work quite fine if you respect that.

If you project builds an ejb, the packaging type must be ejb. If you don't,
Maven can't understand in other modules (that depend on it) what to do with
the dependency. Typically, the ear plugin takes care of ejbs and will
generate the deployment descriptor automatically if you need one.

2 is the solution and 1 seems more like a hack to me.

HTH,
S.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Jean-Claude <je...@ipi.ch>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to build an EAR file with modules. All EJB modules have been defined
> as jar (<packaging>jar</packaging).
> What is the best way:
>
> 1).
> Include those EJB modules in the EAR file using <jarModule>
>
> or
>
> 2).
> Change the packaging of all EJB modules to ejb (<packaging>ejb</packaging>)
> and then include those EJB modules in the EAR file using <ejbModule>
>
> What are the advantages or disadvantages of each solution?
>
> Thank you for your Help!

Large Systems Suck: This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one, you
suck" -- S.Yegge